DP2.5 Shipping

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Skiniftz, Jul 27, 2004.

1. Skiniftz macrumors 6502

As we approach my "on or before 2/8/04" ship date, and especially as I strongly suspect I'm going to see this deadline whoosh by without any sign of my new Mac, I am wondering has anyone at all received their DP2.5?

After having been caught out by Apple in the past I've been waiting 8 months for the fabled "Dual 3GHz" that Jobs bul****ted us about when I could have bought a Dual 2.0 back in January 04 and after the disappointment of only a Dual 2.5 which I ordered TWO MONTHS AGO I'm starting to get seriously annoyed. If they delay me any longer I'm seriously looking at sticking with the PC and buying a new Dell. At least I know exactly what I would be getting and know that if I order I'll see something before 2005. The absolute last straw would be if I have to wait more months for the "DP2.5" (if they exist) only to find out the dual cores get announced just after I buy and its too late for a refund.

"Switch to Apple" - sure - great except for one thing - you cant ****ing buy them. :mad:

Quite frankly this whole fiasco has been ****ing ridiculous. How is this company still in business?

2. Koree macrumors 6502

Cuz people are patient :p jk jk, sorry your order hasn't come yet, it'll get there, eventually ^^, don't worry it'll be very very worth the wait. Don't get the dell!

3. Koree macrumors 6502

And complain after August 2nd!, they told you its gonna take a while

4. paxtonandrew macrumors 6502

What graphics card did you get the computer with? Did you order the 9800? If so, there will be a delay on the computer.

If not, contact Apple, and ask what gives with the delay. There will also be a delay with the computer, as the chips are new, so the manufacturing process will be slow, just be patient and the computer will come.
    :D

5. Skiniftz thread starter macrumors 6502

I ordered the 9800XT and would have upgraded to the NVidia 6800 except I knew it would add a delay.

Do you know something about 9800XT's causing a delay that I don't?

6. adamjay macrumors 6502a

adamjay

i may get lynched for saying this but here goes..

if you can cope with using Windows, don't switch to Mac.
    as someone who has used both platforms for a long time, MacOS is definitely the easier to use OS out of the box. But if you are comfortable with XP for instance, and are comfortable with dodging viruses and spyware (its easy once you know what you're doing), then you would take a huge speed hit buying an apple (unless you order a dual G5 - which you did). For the same performance of that dual G5 you can get a PC for 1/2 to 1/3 the price.

i don't know why you are switching to Apple or what your uses for the platform would be. but if your uses do not include video editing - you will simply get more for your money on the x86 side of things. You can build a spec for spec Dual Opteron 2ghz machine that performs like a dual 2.0 ghz G5 for $1200. dual 2.5 equivalent for $1500.

i don't mean to play devil's advocate here. i am only speaking from experience. and my latest experience was selling a G4 867mhz 12" Powerbook for $1,000. I then bought an HP 15.4" widescreen laptop for $975 with an Athlon 64 3000. I'm now seeing 3 to 4 times better performance in the main (audio) apps that i use.

OSX kicks ass, there is no denying it. but the matrix of getting only 2 of Good/Fast/Cheap 3 definitely applies to Apple.

I love OSX, but over time i've been feeling that its a wolf in sheep's clothing.

7. Skiniftz thread starter macrumors 6502

It's not just personal though - at work our purchasing guy was going nuts as he ordered a lot of Apple stuff, but it took THREE MONTHS to arrive.

We were planning to switch quite a bit to Apple too as we dont like being tied to much to Microsoft, but quite frankly order 50 Dell's and have them on site within three days or wait MONTHS for Apple stuff - which are you going to do?

8. adamjay macrumors 6502a

adamjay

would you consider yourself more tied to apple now though? considering you're basically just waiting for the machine you've purchased?

9. adamjay macrumors 6502a

adamjay

in other words, who has you by the balls NOW ?

10. Skiniftz thread starter macrumors 6502

Apple.

11. slughead macrumors 68030

slughead

I ordered mine on WWDC.. My order is still open.

I agree with that whole 3ghz thing was BS. They should've told us it would've been delayed THE DAY they knew so we could make the choice as to whether or not it was worth it to wait.

If you can't make a deadline, inform your boss ASAP so they can make arrangements, don't wait till the last minute to tell them you can't do it. I guaran-damn-tee you IBM told Apple when they knew, and I bet it was at least 6 months ago.

I've been in the market for a TOTL (top of the line) G5 for 9 months--waiting on Apple's 3ghz wonderbox. I would've bought 9 months ago if I'd known this would be the result.

12. Bhennies macrumors 6502

TELL me about it. I sold my CRT to get the money for a 23" HD display to go along with my powerbook. I ordered it 2 days after they were announced and I'm STILL waiting. It's pretty much impossible to do what I do on a 15" powerbook screen. When they say two-to-four weeks, they might as well drop the two week estimate and just tell people it's gonna take a month or more- we all know apple doesn't seem to beat their quickest estimates for shipping.

I was thinking of getting the middle model of the next revision of g5's when they come out for audio, but now, I think I'll keep the powerbook for my daily duties (internet, etc.) and build an AMD machine for my recording studio with no internet hookup so I won't have to deal with spyware, viruses etc. XP is not THAT unreliable when it's a non-networked computer. A LOT more bang for your buck.

13. broken_keyboard macrumors 65816

broken_keyboard

I remember with the original G5, they were showing up in stores before people received their pre-orders.

It was crazy, some guy who orders right after the keynote is still waiting while others just walk in off the street and grab one. Pre-ordering is an evil trick...

14. Celeron macrumors 6502a

Come on fellas, if you've been following Apple for any length of time you know they are the KINGS of paper releases. Hey hey, they got a new PowerMac out, great, you can't actually buy one for another 3 months. Well you can, but you won't get it. That's like pre-ordering a new video game.

15. radhak macrumors regular

All of you guys seem to be very flexible with your computing needs ;) You are ready to change your computing platform based on the delivery modes and time? Well, that means you just need something on your desk/lap, not necessarily a Mac or a Wintel.

Me, i spend a lot of time thinking on what i need, and once decided that i needed an Apple (iMac to be specific), i go ahead and order it, and the time it takes to deliver is totally immaterial. I mean, if it gets delivered the next day, it's a bonus, but if it takes a month, that's what it takes.

My iMac took less than 24 hours to deliver, then my new Dell 8300 took 10 days. But the Dell is going to be with me for the next 2 years, and i am told the iMac is good for even more, so a month here or there is not material. Think it over.

Yes, complain about it, get Apple to be more proactive about it, but don't abandon a G5 because of a logistical problem :rolleyes:

16. slughead macrumors 68030

slughead

Me: "Hey Apple, can you stop being retards?"

Apple: "Why should we? Nobody abandons our products even though we screw them once or twice a year."

Me: "But I've been a loyal customer for years! Cut me a break!"

Apple: "Why should we? What are you going to do? Run windows? HAHAHA!"

The lesser of two evils always wins :(.

They should change their slogan to "Apple: every year is election year!" Even though I vote libertarian, in this case I can't afford to run the 3rd party (linux).

17. SwitchingSoon macrumors regular

Ugh. I'm beginning to think you have a point. Now why the F*** have I been waiting for this damn computer for 2 months and visiting every single mac site under the sun....?

I move in 8/8 to school. If I don't get it by then, I guess I will just cancel my order. I still have to transfer and ASSLOAD of files from this PC, not to mention, learn how to use FRIGGIN MAC OS.

You're the first one who has been so blunt about the speed. These past few weeks when i have asked similar questions i get wishy washy answers. better than xeon 3.6 ghz, worse than a 2.2 ghz dell desktop, etc.

I had heard apple's record with shipping and for some naive reason i thought they would have gotten better

18. adamjay macrumors 6502a

adamjay

the wishy washy answers are because different platforms, and even specifications favor different applications and uses. for instance, barefeats' comparison of the dual G5 and dual Opteron last year.. http://www.barefeats.com/g5op.html

bryce and aftereffects were owned by the G5, everything else including photoshop was owned by the opteron. Photoshop CS later came out and its mild 64-bit nature was beneficial to both processors, but its too hard to tell.

at the time of that test, the dual opteron was $4107 USD, and the dual G5 2.0 was $3424 USD, when the systems were comparably spec'd. but these days, that same dual opteron is about $1200, and the G5 $2500.

x86 technology progresses alot more gradually than PowerPC (Mac) does. and this makes newer technology cheaper. Mac progresses just as much, but at a different rate. i tend to beleive that Mac technology makes Leaps and is even if not - better and faster than PC technology every few years, but this only lasts for a while (for instance the birth of the dual G5). Then things progress slowly for years afterward, while the PC gradually takes back the lead (i.e. dual 2.5 g5 instead of 3ghz G5). bad analogy, but think of it like a kangaroo racing against against a grizzly bear. they both have the same average speed of 30mph, and the kangaroo will hop in front of the bear but only be ahead for a little while... the bear will have the lead most of the time, but the kangaroo will leap ahead every now and again.

19. Soire macrumors regular

HaHa! :p

My biggest question, other than why Apple doesn't ship my freakin computer already, is why Macrumors printed that they were shipping AS A STORY and hasn't made a retraction yet?? It was a total lie 2 weeks ago, as it is today. It's hard enough not having my G5 (ship date 8/2) but toying with my emotions this whole time has been bad for my health. Grrrrrrrr..........

20. adamjay macrumors 6502a

adamjay

21. slughead macrumors 68030

slughead

Yeah I saw that.

Kind of throws that whole "They've only increased by 12% and we've done 25%!" argument right out the window.

Though TBH, some tests showed the DP2.0 G5 slower than the DP3.0 Xeon when it came out.

The Xeon does better on these $50 benchmark programs than it does in real world/SPEC benchmark tests. It seems to be optimized for such things, and not for the things you would use it for (database management, etc.).

22. adamjay macrumors 6502a

adamjay

absolutely. different machines are better for different things.

for instance. a $700 Athlon 64 3400 Desktop is more effecient with the Ableton Live audio sequencing application than a $2500 Dual 2.0 G5.

23. jackieonasses macrumors 6502a

jackieonasses

well then go back to windows. i hate all of that ranting and "cussing" our community doesn't need you. (Yes i know you are upset i would be to, but it is just the dual 2.5s that are taking so long in the first place so calm down)

24. Bhennies macrumors 6502

I wouldn't exactly say that. I started waiting to buy a new g5 in February along with a new display which apple was rumored to release along side new g5's in March. The dual 3ghz, which was not a rumor but a PROMISE, was a possibility for me as well. As we all know, NONE of these things came to fruition on time, or for the dual 3's, AT ALL.

I don't switch back and forth from manufacturers for who's got the fastest shipping time or least pre-order delays...Apple's business practice has been a problem for me since I bought my first mac 5 years ago. I USE my computer for my job (photography and graphic design) and my serious hobby (music production), and treating a customer like we're being treated is unacceptable for professionals, especially when they spend 2 grand on a monitor or 3 grand on a computer. Not to mention I can only get a 1 year warranty on a 2000 dollar display because I didn't buy it at the same time as my powerbook, but that's another story.

I used to laugh at the cynics who said Apple was turning into a software and ipod oriented company, but lately, I've been questioning my credit card's undying support for Apple.