Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kyemaloy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 6, 2015
Mac starts up, chime sounds, login screen opens. I click my account picture and enter the 100% correct password. The screen goes black leaving just the mouse on the screen, and the password screen pops back up. Repeats no matter how many times I try and is persistent after a reboot.

Reported to apple, with a video attached but just want to warn people to remember that beta software can do this and to keep everything backed up, as I know some people have important stuff on their computers and don't backup!

macrumors 65816
May 23, 2016
Middle East
Had the same issue tonight. Solution for those who don't read the link above is to boot into recovery (CMD R) and then select reinstall OS. This keeps all files intact.

What isn't mentioned is that you must be connected to the internet or it won't install as it verifies the eligibility of the machine with 

bbfc

macrumors 68040
Oct 22, 2011
Newcastle, England.
Had the same issue tonight. Solution for those who don't read the link above is to boot into recovery (CMD R) and then select reinstall OS. This keeps all files intact.

What isn't mentioned is that you must be connected to the internet or it won't install as it verifies the eligibility of the machine with 
I tried that and it asked me to sign in to my Apple ID during the installation to download the installer, but kept saying the item was temporarily unavailable. Booting in to safe mode and then restarting seems to have worked, though my mac seems incredibly slow.

Supertaff

macrumors member
May 20, 2014
Has happened to me as well on MacBook 12 inch. Dp1 installed with fine and worked. After dp3 install boots up to log in screen then won't accept my password keeps going back to login.

Have tried a few things including internet recovery which hasn't worked.

Have given up for this evening and will try again tomorrow

If anyone has any other fixes / suggestions let me know. Thought dp3 would be more stable

retrospek

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2004
UK
I had the same issue - every time I would select my logon name and enter my password the screen would go blank for a second and then return back to the logon screen.

Only way I fixed it was to click on the 'Guest' account instead - which did work and then I went to the Users/Groups System Preference and set-up a new user. When I then logon as a new user it works.

Supertaff

macrumors member
May 20, 2014
wasn't able to get the Guest account to work either as it produces a crash report with shut down, crash and restart as old options.

So, I've taken the nuclear option, reformat of whole drive and then reinstall El Cap.

I'm lucky all my files are stored up in the cloud, so no major issues for me, but hope everyone else who has problems has backups or cloud storage of their data if they need to reformat.

macrumors 65816
May 23, 2016
Middle East
The guest account crashed for me too.

But the reinstall OS worked and it's now on DP2.

Think I'll leave it there and wait for DP4. Surprised that  haven't pulled it.

Supertaff

macrumors member
May 20, 2014
glad you're up and running again. I'm going to leave until DP4 before I have another go at installing Sierra, I have DP1 running on a separate partition on my iMac so can still play with it should I wish, but leaving my MacBook for the time being, was hoping DP3 could have been a daily driver.

Presume Apple haven't had enough of these failures to justify pulling it yet, maybe there's something specific about a small number of computers or maybe the install itself is causing issues for some people.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.