Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maracz

macrumors member
May 6, 2003
Well of course it works. It's sold by Apple even. I personally don't know how well though.

MacAztec

macrumors 68040
Oct 28, 2001
San Luis Obispo, CA
Better Idea

Go down to BestBuy and find one of those Linksys Bridges (not sure if thats the correct word, but it has an uplink port for internet and an external antanne port).

Then, on ebay, get a good antanne (not omnidirectional). They will run about 70 dollars.

This will take a crap on the thing that apple has right now. You have to use it with THAT antanne, while the rest of the world uses a regular ext. antanne port.

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
A friend of mine said that they work well. Although, he's going to setup a cantenna on his APX and then setup up the antenna in his garage.

TEG

WilliamGates

macrumors member
Mar 18, 2003
I would hold off till Macworld does further tests. In their last Issue they mention they must do further tests, but previously they found no improvement in reception. The 17" and 12" tests seem on par with the ibook.

hugemullens

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2002
Michigan
I read that to in macworld. They said there was no real difference if they were using the antenna's or not. But they said to wait for further test. I for one think you could do a lot better with 3rd party non apple wireless gear.

dabirdwell

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2002
Oklahoma
What are the realities of building a "cantenna" or other homemade device to enhance 802.11 reception?

I have AE and love it, but would love more range even better.

Incidentally, has anyone seen wireless "switches?" They are meant as an alternative to wireless routers; instead of radiating the signal omnidirectionally, they focus a signal beam to each user and can cover much larger distances with the same power. Supposedly available in the next month or maybe now even.

yzedf

macrumors 65816
Nov 1, 2002
Connecticut
Pringles is where it's at!

http://www.turnpoint.net/wireless/has.html

Linksys does a signal booster thing... but I have not needed it for my 802.11b set-up.

The real issue lies in the fact that the 1st generation of hardware to a "new" specification (in this case 802.11g) usually has problems.

Also, increased range = increased power. The FCC has regulations stating that anything in the 802.11a/b/g spectrum accepts all interference, and creates none of its own. If you crank up the juice, and someone complains, you could be liable in federal court. If you don't live in the USA... then I don't know.

The limitations of the spec are there for a reason.

Eckslusive

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 12, 2002
DAMN..i really wnat to get one..cause i only get a little reception in my room and the base is outside :(...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.