Dr. Dre to Star in Apple's First Original Television Series

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 12, 2016.

1. MacRumors
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Following rumors Apple is planning to create original television content like Netflix and Amazon, news has leaked about the company's first prospective TV show courtesy of The Hollywood Reporter. The series, called Vital Signs, is described as a dark semi-autobiographical drama that stars Beats co-founder and Apple executive Dr. Dre.

Sources who have seen scripts and descriptions of the show have described it as being very dark, reflecting at least in part on the life of Dr. Dre. Each episode is said to focus on a "different emotion" and the way Dre's character handles it.

[​IMG]
    News that Apple was exploring the possibility of original television programming first surfaced last summer, ahead of when it shelved its streaming television plans. At the time, it was speculated the content could be provided through a rumored streaming service, but with Apple having ended development on that project at the current time, distribution will come through more traditional means.

The Hollywood Reporter believes the series is likely to be distributed through Apple Music, which was born out of the Beats Music service created by Dre. It may also be available through iTunes or distributed through other channels, but the details on that are not yet clear. As with Netflix shows, all episodes of the series will be released at once.

Dr. Dre is the executive producer on the series, and it's being funded by Apple. The series will also star Sam Rockwell, known for movies like Confessions of a Dangerous Mind, Galaxy Quest, and Moon, along with Mo McRae, known for his role in Sons of Anarchy. It will be directed by Paul Hunter.

Article Link: Dr. Dre to Star in Apple's First Original Television Series

2. HiVolt
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502

HiVolt

3. LordVic
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 68030

It sounds like Masturbation. Apple is creating a feature TV series to feature Apple partners and history of Apple owned executive.

So in otherwords, it's going to be a Commercial.

P.S> (How bout that McDavid showcase last night eh)

4. nightcap965
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502a

nightcap965

Well, the elevator pitch doesn't grab me, and I certainly wouldn't pay to see it, but I'm used to not being in the target demographic.

5. The Doctor11
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 603

The Doctor11

Apple please ask yourselves "Are we TV producers, or do we make amazing tech products and software?"

6. Jsameds
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 68000

7. CFreymarc
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 68040

This is looking like the old Studio System where actors were signed to studios for exclusive series of projects.

8. PJL500
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors regular

Will it reveal how he avoided prison after assaulting journalist Dee Barnes with the help of his body guard? Her crime: a critical review of his work.

9. mattopotamus
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors G4

mattopotamus

Wow what a great show to launch with!

Does the sarcasm come through?

10. 69Mustang
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 68030

69Mustang

No kidding. What's the over/under on 500 posts? I would take the over all day.

11. Noble Actual
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502a

12. iDuel
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502a

iDuel

I am really surprised that this type of series is how Apple wants to debut its original content.

13. PJL500
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors regular

Rolling Stone: He [Dre] picked her up by her hair and "began slamming her head and the right side of her body repeatedly against a brick wall near the stairway" as his bodyguard held off the crowd with a gun. After Dre tried to throw her down the stairs and failed, he began kicking her in the ribs and hands. She escaped and ran into the women’s rest room. Dre followed her and "grabbed her from behind by the hair again and proceeded to punch her in the back of the head."

As Dr. Dre explained the incident: "People talk all this ****, but you know, somebody **** with me, I’m gonna **** with them. I just did it, you know. Ain’t nothing you can do now by talking about it. Besides, it ain’t no big thing—I just threw her through a door." Mr Cook knows how to pick them.

14. polterbyte
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors regular

polterbyte

Here's a thousand volumes on the subject: no.

15. Waxhead138
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502

If they just hire the right people, fund it, and otherwise don't toy with it.....chances are original programming could be quite successful for them. Let the right people produce it and it's got a good shot. Just don't interfere in the process.

Edit: Where they will probably go wrong with it: Charging per episode to view it, or charging a monthly Apple TV premium for in house produced content. If it were bonus material for owning an Apple TV....that would rock. I bet they don't do it that way though.

16. Pilgrim1099
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502a

This is ridiculous, if true. Kind of a conflict of interest for Dre to be an actor and Apple executive.

The only way to stop this stupidity and turn Apple around is to get rid of Cook, Cue and Williams. I'm sorry but the Apple executives are getting desperate trying too hard to be " cool ". They need to lay off true vanity projects and focus on sensible products that have function.

I love Sam Rockwell and his brilliant work in MOON but this could really hurt his career.

17. bushido
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors G3

bushido

great ... whats next? a live musical for Chris Brown on how to treat women?

18. GQB
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 65816

19. Sasparilla
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502

Desperately don't want Apple falling into the content owner / producer cabal...they don't see "customers" the way Apple of today does.

That said, seems a bit odd to have one of your execs staring in their own TV series...that whole purchase of Beats has been a place I wish Apple hadn't gone.

20. Lazy
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502

"an episode filming Monday and Tuesday this week featured an extended orgy scene"

I can see Apple producing original shows, but I can't see them producing this one.

21. Rogifan
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors P6

Rogifan

Sounds like a real winner. Yea Eddy.

22. FatherJack1980
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors newbie

FatherJack1980

[​IMG]

(well, MacRumors doesn't see to be able to handle gifs - so here's an image below of the gif)

[​IMG]

...well, I hope that iTunes will not end up selling "Apple exclusive" music, movies and shows in the near future. No, Tim Cook, I was only joiking; please don't consider it!

23. d0minick
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502

Apple is diversifying itself in to waaayyyy to many categories. They are good at them all, but not great at even 1. There hardware is not on par (XPS is killing it), and there software is lacking.

Kill the extra categories, 20 sizes and 20 colors, no rhyme or reason for display exclusions. Or in 10 years the big boy on the block, won't be apple.

24. BruiserB
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 65816

I wonder if this original content will be included in an AppleMusic subscription, or if it will be a new video service...AppleVideo? They could create a NetFlix like service where certain iTunes movies roll in and out of being "free" to watch and then augment it with some original content like this.

25. BornAgainMac
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

The 16 GB iPhone comedy hour with Craig Federighi would be better.