Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mfacey

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 1, 2004
Netherlands
This is something i've been wondering about for a while now. When I'm dragging something from say the desktop to an open Finder window I somestimes venture into the wrong folder accidentally. Whilst still holding onto the files I'm dragging I can find a way to go back up a level. My only solution is to use the menu on the left to head back to my starting point and try again.

Is there a way to go "back" in finder whilst dragging a file?

Thanks!

tobefirst ⚽️

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
I just tried it, and every time I move into a folder, it generates it's own finder window...to go back to the previous folder (one level up), I just have to drag the file outside of the finder window I'm in, and that one disappears, allowing me to move one level up and pick a new folder.

Does this not work for you?

I have noticed that the sidebar items do not work as I've described above, and would cause a problem with trying to get back to a previous folder.

MacBoobsPro

macrumors 603
Jan 10, 2006
tobefirst said:
I just tried it, and every time I move into a folder, it generates it's own finder window...to go back to the previous folder (one level up), I just have to drag the file outside of the finder window I'm in, and that one disappears, allowing me to move one level up and pick a new folder.

Does this not work for you?

I have noticed that the sidebar items do not work as I've described above, and would cause a problem with trying to get back to a previous folder.

Yep, just drag away, back out of the new window. It will close and you will be effectively 'up one level'.

Column view is useful if you are navigating alot like that!

mfacey

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 1, 2004
Netherlands
I guess I must've set up finder to open folders in the same window, seeing as I don't get new windows all the time. Besides, I really don't like it doing that. I have some folders from my study nestled away pretty deep and having finder open 8 new windows every time I want to move something in there does not sound like a very handy solution.

Column view a good one though.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
You probably knew this, and it's sort of an aside, but if you do drop the files in the wrong spot, ⌘-Z will undo the move so you can try it again.

tobefirst ⚽️

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
mfacey said:
I guess I must've set up finder to open folders in the same window, seeing as I don't get new windows all the time. Besides, I really don't like it doing that. I have some folders from my study nestled away pretty deep and having finder open 8 new windows every time I want to move something in there does not sound like a very handy solution.

Column view a good one though.

I don't have "Always open folders in a new window" checked, but I do have "Spring-loaded folders and windows" checked inside Finder preferences. I don't like having Eleventy Billion finder windows open either. :) Works just the same- once you let go of the file, all the folders collapse.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.