Dragging items in 10.2 doesn't work

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by G4scott, Aug 25, 2002.

1. G4scott macrumors 68020

G4scott

I seem to have a problem... I upgraded my iBook to 10.2, and now I can't drag items. Not in the finder, not in omniweb, not in any application whatsoever... One of the best features of computers, which debuted on a Mac, isn't working on my Mac...

Help please :confused:

2. G4scott thread starter macrumors 68020

G4scott

Just a note: I'm thinking that tinker tool might be messing with things... I didn't realize that I had it installed, until just a moment ago. Unfortunately, it's in the preferences panes, and it won't open...

3. menoinjun macrumors 6502a

menoinjun

Yeah, tinker tool doesn't work for me either. I don't know why, but I do know that a lot of the available options in tinker tool are already built into Jaguar.

_pete

4. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

i'm not sure what you mean by 'draging items doesn't work' but i have a similar problem. whenever i try to move some files from one folder to another it always gets copied. i don't know if this is just a prefrence or something... anyone know?

5. AmbitiousLemon Moderator emeritus

AmbitiousLemon

uninstaller tinker tool for 10.1 and install tinkertool for 10.2

6. peterjhill macrumors 65816

peterjhill

I just posted this to another thread, where you mentioned the problem. In case you don't see it there...

I had the same problem. Where you running any Developer Releases? Particularly 6c105 (but others might have same problem also). To see if you are being effected by the same bug I had do this:

Open the Console (applications -> utilities -> console)

Try to drag anywhere, the finder, addressbook, itunes

If you get an error pop up in the console window, then you have the same problem I had. I was not running that program that you mentioned. I ended up doing a clean install (instead of an archive and move users and network settings) of the final release, and that solved my problems.

I am not sure if there is an easier fix to your problem. I would think about a clean install if I where you.

7. G4scott thread starter macrumors 68020

G4scott

I'm running the retail version of Jaguar, and have not installed any developer releases.

The weird thing is, that I installed the security update, and restarted, and dragging works fine now, but I can't seem to be able to copy/paste. I can't copy something from omniweb and put it in Text Edit...

This is getting really annoying...

8. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

i couldn't drag anything either at some point... but when i restarted it worked again and i haven't seen any such problems since....

hmm.

let us know if you figure it out... would be good to keep an eye out for whatever bugs there might be.

9. peterjhill macrumors 65816

peterjhill

Did you look at the console, as I suggested? Almost all stderror info is sent to the console, which makes it great for debugging.