Dragging the time and date from the menu bar

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Doctor Q, Aug 6, 2004.

1. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Los Angeles
    The time of day is right there in my menu bar, and I see the date if I click, yet when I want to put the time or date in a document (let's say TextEdit or a Mail message), I can't drag the time or date into my document or message. It's seem only natural to drag something you see to somewhere you want it. Could Apple provide this?

I know I could get shareware to give me more time and date tricks. And I could use a word processor that has a "current date" or "current time" macro. But I like considering ways in which Apple could naturally and unobtrusively give us another small improvement. They need 129 new features for each operating system release, you know! ;)

The time/date is a menu, and you usually don't have a reason to drag menu headings or menu entries. Is this within Apple's interface guidelines at all?

Do any other applications let you drag menu titles or menu entries as text?

Would I have to accept the time/date in the format used in the menu bar or menu, or would there be a reasonable way for Apple to give me a choice of formats?
  2. broken_keyboard macrumors 65816

Apr 19, 2004
    Secret Moon base
    That's a good idea. You should submit it to the OS X suggestions page...
  3. Nspace macrumors regular

Jul 13, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    I second this. That is a real good idea. Like you said just something simple that could come in handy, and could be realtively easy to implement.

Even when u cmd click on the clock if there was like a copy date and time to clipboard or something along those lines.
  4. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

Jun 6, 2003
    Solon, OH
    Smart thinking Doctor Q. I'd submit it to Apple at their feedback page, like other posters have suggested.
  5. billyboy macrumors 65816

Mar 15, 2003
    In my head
    some menu bar utilities have pop up boxes which fade as you leave the scene. If you could capture and drag one of those it might be handy (hastily tries to think of a utility where it would be handy and doesnt get past Doctor Q's idea)