Dragging Windows BELOW the dock.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Kinneas, Dec 13, 2006.

1. Kinneas macrumors member

I have made some modifications to my dock because I generallly just want it to be transparent. This way the icons will just kind of lay on top of whatever I'm working on. It looks nicer, at least in my opinion.

The problem is that by default, windows cannot be expanded below the level of the dock. You can try it yourself. If you drag the bottom-right corner of a sizeable window, it will not go below the dock. I really hate it.

Can anyone help?

Also (for bonus credit):

Anyone know of a good way to move the trash off the dock onto the desktop? And to change the colour of the arrows pointing at the apps that are open?

Thanks all!

2. Nym macrumors 6502a

Nym

What OSX are you using? I could swear I could drag the Flash 8/Freehand MX (recent examples) windows below the dock :eek:

Anyway, nice set of questions, I would also like to know how to put the trash can on the desktop :)
    As for the little arrow, are you using an app to change the dock appearance? if so, doesn't it give you the possibility to change the arrow?

Let's hope someone with more "dock knowledge" can answer this :)

3. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Why not just turn dock hiding on, that way it frees the space up for you to drag windows there and all you need to do is move the mouse to the bottom of the screen to get the dock to pop up again. Works for me anyway.

4. ero87 macrumors 65816

ero87

ohhh i totally knew the name of the app that changed the Arrow colors... got it! cleardock!

as for trash on the desktop... that's windows-style. yech.

5. Kinneas thread starter macrumors member

You know I could swear I remember Mac OS having it like that too back in the day. :p

Thanks for the tip on cleardock. Works well!

6. ero87 macrumors 65816

ero87

yeah, you wanna be reminded of Mac OS classic?!? i sure don't. :D

7. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Would I want OS X to look like Mac OS classic? No, of course not.

Are you suggesting Mac OS classic was a bad OS in it's day? I sure hope not.

8. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Dragging windows below the level of the Dock gives different behaviors for different programs. For example, Word won't let you do it all. Safari will let you do it, but the moment you move the window, it shrinks back down to the level of the Dock.

Regarding the Trash issue, there are a number of tools for getting a Trash Can on your Desktop, including DragThing, TrashX, and Bin-it. You can probably also just do it on your own by creating a symbolic link to .Trash and putting it on your Desktop...it likely won't work perfectly, however, as I don't think dragging ejectable media to the icon will work, trashing things from other discs will copy instead of deleting them, and you won't have the separate empty/full icons. In addition, I am not aware of a way to remove Trash from the Dock.

9. Shadow macrumors 68000

Shadow

It all depends on the app. Some apps are dock-aware (ie, they wont let you drag behind the dock) but soem arnt.