Dragonfly Macro

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by digitalrebelxt, Apr 23, 2006.

1. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

WOW! That is amazing! I'd love to see the full-size. Link?

2. digitalrebelxt thread starter macrumors member

3. jared_kipe macrumors 68030

jared_kipe

I can assume a Digital Rebel XT, but what lens? And how much USM did you apply ;) It looks.. over done on the USM...

4. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

5. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Nice shot! Reminds of this one I took a couple of years ago in Hawaii (not bad for a Sony F707):

Attached Files:

6. digitalrebelxt thread starter macrumors member

Canon XT and 100mm 2.8 Canon Macro Lens, and what does over done on the USM? USM is just the motor built in the lens no way to over do that. Only post processing was done to the color and little levels.

Thank you for all the wonderful comments.

Matt

7. jared_kipe macrumors 68030

jared_kipe

Not that USM, unsharp mask- is a photoshop sharpening filter. So if all you did was color and levels, I'm confused. It looks to me over sharpened with sharpening artifacts and all. Maybe your in camera sharpening is turned up?

But otherwise, very nice. Flying bugs inpraticular can be hard to shoot.

8. emw macrumors G4

emw

That's a great picture - nice job! I'm looking to get me a nice zoom lens for my Rebel XT, but haven't yet pulled the trigger. Hopefully I'll get it soon - or perhaps for my birthday!

9. Clix Pix macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

8 miles from the Apple Store at Tysons (VA)
    Very nice!! Dragonflies move so quickly it's hard to actually capture one in the camera....good job! That was a good lens to use for that purpose, as it gives you enough distance that you wouldn't spook the insect and yet you could get right up there close to him.....

10. macgfxdesigner macrumors regular

order from BH Photo!

Order the lens from BH Photo no sales tax, and a lot cheaper than retail prices. I order all my camera gear from them, Great company to deal with.

11. macgfxdesigner macrumors regular

Opps my bad, haha, yeah I have sharpening turned up on the camera.

12. Clix Pix macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

It is a better idea to leave the in-camera sharpening at normal levels in the camera; this gives you more latitude and flexibility when it comes to sharpening later on in post-processing. Once the camera has done the sharpening, especially if it's oversharpened, there are going to be halos and artifacts and you cannot fix that, whereas when doing your own sharpening with USM (Unsharp Mask) in the post-processing process, you then have much more control over your image and its final appearance.

13. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Best thing to do is try to catch them early in the day before they've warmed up - I got within a couple of inches of my 'fly and he just sat there and posed. :)

14. emw macrumors G4

emw

Didn't like the "digitalrebelxt" moniker :confused:

Nice fly shot. Got any bees?

15. p0intblank macrumors 68030

Awesome dragonfly shot! The fly one is pretty sweet too. :D

16. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

They're all pretty sweet. It's largely a matter of timing and luck, but I still respect that. I do wish to acquire a lens that takes macros that well. I'm considering the Nikkor 105 mm, but I just want to keep shooting and trying to figure out what I like shooting, and whether or not I'd be better off with a telephoto of some sort. I don't think I'll need a telephoto any time soon, but I just want to keep my options open for now.

17. Clix Pix macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

Heh, I'll have to try that, get out there fairly early in the morning, then, as I'd love to capture a dragonfly with my camera.... Thanks for the tip!