Dreaded Microsoft error message, help.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Aniej, Mar 18, 2007.

1. Aniej macrumors 68000

Aniej

I am trying to run spell check in Word from Office 2004 for Mac and, in addition to its inability to identify spelling mistakes, it keeps displaying an error message telling me the Russian and Czech languages are not installed and to re-install so that spell check will run. I am certainly not writing in either of those languages, moreover, I re-installed Office 2004 and I still keep getting the error message and spell check will not pick up spelling mistakes.

I do not know what to do from here so I am turing to the forum for some help. Is it possible the is a Mac OS issue related to languages? I will note I used monolingual to cut down on space issues, but certainly did not touch russian, as my father is russian, and doubt I did anything with czech.

2. ebouwman macrumors 6502a

there is a preference to set the language for the spell check

go to the prefferences and from the menu on the left choose Spelling and Grammer and from there choose dictionaries and then select the english dictionary

3. Aniej thread starter macrumors 68000

Aniej

that was an incredibly useful and direct answer, especially from such a new MR member! That's not to say new member status has any relationship to informative posting, but often people are more focused on getting the most posts as possible as quickly as possible and not answering questions like this one. Again, thank you very much and welcome to MR.

4. ebouwman macrumors 6502a

Well i do want to get posts quickly:p
    Oh and not only am i new to macrumors but i bought my first mac just this X-Mas lol

5. Aniej thread starter macrumors 68000

Aniej

And to that (your Apple purchase) I saw Bravo! Which machine did you end up getting and how are you liking it so far?

6. Aniej thread starter macrumors 68000

Aniej

I am still getting an error message stating: Russian proofing tools are not installed. I have custom installed Office 2004 twice now, but still no luck. Is it possible that this an OS issue and how would I go about adding Russian proofing tools to my Mac? I am running 10.4.9

I could use the help asap!

7. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

What is the exact text of the error message that tells you that the Russian and Czech languages are not installed?

8. Aniej thread starter macrumors 68000

Aniej

here ya go.

Attached Files:

9. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

More questions:

1. If you select Tools -> Language -> English (US) -> Default... to reset the default language to English, does it cure the problem you are having?

2. Did you install the U.S. version of Micosoft Office 2004, or some other version?

3. When you look in the Macintosh HD/Applications/Microsoft Office 2004/Shared Applications/Proofing Tools folder, do you see files for Australian, English, US English, and UK English, or some other collection of languages?

4. If you create a new document, type a few lines of text, select all of the text, and select Tools -> Language, is English (US) highlighted automatically in the list of languages, is some other language highlighted automatically, or is no language highlighted automatically?

10. Aniej thread starter macrumors 68000

Aniej

It was set as default already.

Totally legit, US copy.

Yes I see all of those. Notably though, I do not see Czech or Russian.

English (US) is highlighted.

Attached Files:

11. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

There was an Office for Mac Service Pack a couple of years ago that fixed some glitches in the "Compatibility Report" feature, which was generating spurious "Proofing tools not installed" messages, but it wasn't for Russian.

You said that you custom installed Office. Why did you use custom install instead of the standard installation, i.e., what did you want to include or exclude?

12. ebouwman macrumors 6502a

i got a 2Ghz macbook, and i'm loving it :D

i'm missing those as well strangely enough but i don't get those error messages

13. ebouwman macrumors 6502a

is the suggest only from this dictinoary box in this menu checked?

Attached Files:

14. Aniej thread starter macrumors 68000

Aniej

15. Aniej thread starter macrumors 68000

Aniej

I included everything other than entourage and messenger.

16. Aniej thread starter macrumors 68000

Aniej

So something interesting happened. I closed word, went back in to it today and went into preferences where I just deselected everything I have checked and then re-selected the exact same items. I went into my word doc and hit spell check rather than just hoping that it would pick up on a problem when I misspelled something and it worked just fine.

I have not clue why this would happen. While I am glad to have a temporary solution, this by no means should be something I need to do regularly so it is still not resolved.

17. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

You've found the secret to a lot of software glitches - shake the application vigorously and the the whatzit and the thingamabob might fall back into the right places. You can shrug and go on about your business, but it would sure be nice to know what was going on.

Don't lingering myteries drive you crazy?

If Word starts misbehaving again, then of course it'll be more important to "get a clue" - which we weren't very successful at so far.

18. Aniej thread starter macrumors 68000

Aniej

yes they do, especially since it is acting up again. What do you think about the getting whatever fonts I pulled off back on. How would I even do that, please don't say archive and install....

19. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

How 'bout doing an archive and in... oh, never mind. :p

I think you can use Pacifist to restore fonts from the Apple installation package on the Mac OS X disk. Wanna try that?

20. ebouwman macrumors 6502a

maybe what you could do is go into the Shared Aplications>Proofing Tools and from there copy the english grammer and proofing tools and rename it as Chec and russian proofing tools so whenever it looks for the russian/chec tools it finds and uses the tools for english.