Dream website: Idea.

Discussion in 'Community' started by Archaeopteryx, Oct 8, 2004.

1. Archaeopteryx macrumors regular

Oct 4, 2003
    Hey guys, Im wondering if you would be kind enough to give me input on an Idea ive been having. I want to start a web site about dreams. It would have basic dream information. But mostly it would be a repository for my dreams and user submitted dreams... It would allow users to comment on peoples dreams and maybe attempt to interpet them.

what do you guys think would be the intrest level in something like this? Would you guys use it? Any other things I could add to the site that might work with the dream motif?
  2. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Dec 27, 2002
    Location Location Location
    A dream keyword search would be nice. Say if someone looks up "falling", "parents", "drowning", or "leather-clad dominatrix" or something, many possible dream interpretations come up. :)

I wouldn't use the site much unless I actually had a reason to look up a dream. But I still think it's a good idea.
  3. JLS macrumors 6502

Aug 8, 2004
    Kent, England
    Boring..... reading about a load of junk that doesn't make any sense to the person in the first place, never mind anyone else.
  4. munkle macrumors 68030

Aug 7, 2004
    On a jet plane
    You might get people visiting the site once or twice to interpret their dreams but it would be hard to get people to keep coming back. How often do you want your dreams interpreted? And I don't think many people would be interested in dreams of people they dont know.
  5. Macs R Us macrumors 6502

Mar 8, 2004
    Here on My Mac(s) in my house in the USA!
    Well thats very ture... You need a repeating line, something (wether it big or small) to get people to come back... Its probaly a must for any site (unless its mine:) :rolleyes: ...
  6. 5300cs macrumors 68000

Nov 24, 2002
    Mmm, besides see one leather-clad dominatrix and you've seen 'em all
  7. iJon macrumors 604

Feb 7, 2002
    I think it would be real interesting, I know I would read it. I remember listening to one of my favorite local radio morning shows and they were kind of talking about this. We have a group of people in my town who are "experts" on dreams. It's a free service and you can call them anytime of the night and tell them your dream and they will help you with it. Whether they really knew what they were talking about it still was very interesting to listen too. I felt it had some logic behind it, but that is just me. If I remembered the people who run it I would give you their information to work something out. If you can make a good looking site and attract some people you would get a good amount of vistors. Just check the web first to make sure someone hasn't taken your idea.

8. zv470 macrumors 6502

Jul 4, 2004
    New Zealand
    maybe let people keep a dream diary as well as a day diary. The you might be able to discover something weird and interesting by data-mine the collective diaries. (does that make sense?)
  9. Archaeopteryx thread starter macrumors regular

Oct 4, 2003
    Hehe, while I do agree that most dreams are gibberish.. I think thats what drew me the most to this idea. For example last night I had 3 distinctive dreams I can remember...

The first one consisted of my being in a matvch of Unreal Tournament. I was "IN the match though" and not just playing it... I was kicking ass and I reached a group of people. They were standing around having "target practice" .. I pulled out a Flak gun and owned them all... So from the dead they start bitching at me.. Suddenly a hot lady appears in front of me.. says she is the server moderator and that if I pull a stunt like that again I will be banned. Then she disappeared.

Then I had one where me and my g/f were parked in front of a Chinese Buffet restaurant. I pull a fire work out of a box in the back seat and light it and send it off.... Then we sit there and watch it explode.. a moment passes and suddenly a UPS delivery guy comes to knock on my window.. to arrest me, for popping fireworks within city limits (illegal here). So I get out of the car thinking ill just be fined, he then proceeds to tell me I am being arrested for blowing up "the school". we then fight and i kick his ass.

The third one had to do with a Tasmanian devil/Morlock/Faceless orangatang. who I talked to, and was later executed by an army of blue men with paint brushes as weapons.

I mean... doesnt stuff like that just intrest you :p I mean just the journies the mind takes you through. The dream that inspired me to do this was basicly me catching fire while decorating for a family reunion with werewolves.

I think if some log of this stuff was kept you could pull inspirations for much greater works of cinema or literature :D
  10. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

Feb 2, 2002
    Interesting idea. i love dream analysis, and the scientific explanation for dreams. but... for dream analysis to actually work, or be anything close to accurate, the analyzer needs to know a LOT about the person... down to what commercials they saw two days ago, what their personality type is, what color their bedroom ceiling is... so many things can play into dreams... For instance, if a person dreams about cake, maybe they're worried about an upcoming birthday, or maybe their subconscious is just remembering part of a wedding they attended a month ago, or maybe the person just went to sleep hungry. This is the main reason dream dictionaries are such a farce, because they assume that all symbols in dreams mean the same things to different people. Often images and events in dreams are just subconscious driftwood-- meaningless junk that the mind plays with.

After almost 4 years together, i'm just getting to the point where my partner and i can help interpret each other's dreams... and a lot of the fragments that seem important are often caused by really mundane memories he doesn't consciously recall. But some also give great insight into his fears and hopes.

So, if you do it, remind people not to take it too seriously... i wouldn't post my own dreams there, because of the reasons above, but i might come and look around...

11. Josh macrumors 68000

Mar 4, 2004
    State College, PA
    Being a psychology major, I find this very interesting as an idea!

I think a forum-based approach would be perfect for such a website.

You could use phpBB and fetchall very easily (and free) or you could use phpbb2 Plus - which is an amazing portal-based forum solution.

checkout www.phpbb2.de for more info on that.

I use phpbb2 plus on my site, which is linked below in my signature. I also design themes for phpbb2 plus, so if you ever need help with that part, let me know ;)
  12. Archaeopteryx thread starter macrumors regular

Oct 4, 2003
    josh: Thank you very much for the ideas and an offer for help with templates. At the moment i was messing around with "Mambo Portal" as a possible solution for the site.. Let me tell you.. Ive pretty much ruled that out.. its slow, has lots of errors, and is really hard to configure... :-/

Im pretty much just going to dump it.. Ill try phpbb2 portal. Ive never used a phpbb portal before but i doubt it will be too hard to figure out :p As for phpbb, its what I currently use on my movie review site.. and works excellent as a forum :D

Thanks all for your comments ideas and suggestions :D