Dreams can come true: got an MBP for work!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by jsw, Apr 20, 2006.

1. jsw Moderator emeritus

Mar 16, 2004
    Andover, MA
    To those of you who take using Macs at work for granted: move along. This thread isn't of concern to you.

For those who are stuck with PCs at work and see no way to ever have a Mac, I am here to give you hope.

I have been trying literally since 2000 to get a Mac to use at work (I work for a large Finnish cellphone manufacturer). Every year, many times, I'd ask for one. Since I do Java/Web work, there's never been any real reason I couldn't use a Mac, especially since the more recent Java versions started showing up on OS X.

For years, I've been thwarted. Sometimes I was just told no. Sometimes I was sent on fool's errands to prove things and get estimates and do research, then told no. Since 2000. So I bought my own Macs, did the work on them at home, and transferred it to my Dell laptop when I went in, then transferred it back when I came home. For years. Years.

I am now posting on a MacBook Pro (2.0 GHz, 2GB RAM) that was officially bought by employer. Yes, I wish I could have waited for the 17", or gotten a better HD. Yes, it would be nice if I hadn't gotten the Mac on the condition that there be zero additional cost (i.e., all additional hardware, software, packs, sleeves, etc will be bought by me).

But... I AM USING A MAC AT WORK - officially! It is bliss. Spell checking as I type. Exposé. Widgets. All of OS X. I cannot easily describe how wonderful it is, and how much nicer this looks than the Dell/IBM laptops we use.

Before now, I've spent $0 on work equipment. Now, I've gotten a sleeve, a screen protector, a BT mouse, a sling pack (on its way), some software... many $'s of stuff. Out of my pocket. And I love it.

I had almost lost hope, but I persevered. While I cannot guarantee success for my fellow forced-to-use-Windows MR members, I can say that, sometimes, dreams can come true. Keep trying.
  2. mjstew33 macrumors 601

May 29, 2005
  3. baby duck monge macrumors 68000

baby duck monge

Feb 16, 2003
    Memphis, TN
    Maybe when your employer sees how well the MBP works out, they won't put so many restrictions on its replacement (when the time finally comes for it to be replaced). Either way, it's definitely nice to see a bit more acceptance of Macs in the workplace, and I hope the trend continues.
  4. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

Jan 28, 2005
    American Riviera
    Thanks for the news jsw! I am in a very windows-centric environment at work (French research laboratory) and have almost no hope of a work-provided computer. I think that the option of running Parallels in OS X in order to use OriginLabs software may soften the hard stance against Macs here at work. The IT folks are leery of technology they aren't familiar with, which has been the largest hurdle to date. If one of the IT guys had a chance to play around with an Intel Mac, I think it might help my chances.
  5. floyde macrumors 6502a

Apr 7, 2005
    Monterrey, México
  6. jsw thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mar 16, 2004
    Andover, MA
    I think BootCamp is what helped me - the fact that I could run Windows. It reduced the risk in their eyes. Parallels might also have been a factor, but I think the fact I could turn it into a Windows system (the horror! ;)) made all the difference. Best of luck to you - maybe with Leopard's official support (and rumored virtualization) will be enough to convince your employer.

And lilstewart - I'd post pics, but they'd be worse than the ones here. :)

No. Things are actually not good at all in my group - we had 20 people in early November. We have 4 now. But.. better late than never, and I might be able to use this for years (or not - I might end up booted out of there next week, you never know!).
  7. student_trap macrumors 68000

Mar 14, 2005
    'Ol Smokey, UK
    nice one! glad to see that macs are becomming more accepted in the working world
  8. dornoforpyros macrumors 68040

Oct 19, 2004
    Calgary, AB
    Congrats! Starting next month I'll be working from home on my g5 :D, but since I'll sorta need a laptop for my one day a week in the office I'm sorta accepting the fact that I'll end up paying for my own laptop because my only other option is an Acer :mad:
  9. crazycat macrumors 65816

Dec 5, 2005
    I know 3 people who dumped there laptops/desktops and got an intel mac. My close friend used to work on a PC laptop because it was needed for work because they used some kind of software that was windows only. Now when he goes to work he uses XP and when he gets home he boots it as OS X.

Out of the 3 people who switched 2 would have never bought a mac if it was not for the bootcamp.
  10. zelmo macrumors 603

Jul 3, 2004
    Mac since 7.5
    Glad you finally got your Mac laptop, jsw. I've been fortunate in that I've been able to use both for the past 8 years. Lately, however, I find myself using a PC more and more at work.
    My wife thinks I'm nuts because I come home after 10 hours of (mostly) computer use and spend a couple of hours on my PowerBook most nights. I've explained to her that using a Mac relaxes me after a day with Windows, but I don't think she understands. We've had a Mac at home for 12 years, but she only ever used a PC at work and never really embraced the Mac. I ultimately broke down and got her an XP laptop last year. Now I get to squeeze in a little XP repair in the evenings too...

Enjoy your new toy.:)
  11. annk Administrator

Staff Member

Apr 18, 2004
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    Heh, that could be me! Nice to know I'm not alone. :p

Congrats, jsw. There is hope for the rest of us...
  12. mikes63737 macrumors 65816

Jul 26, 2005
    Congrats! I hope that you get to stay there for some time still to enjoy using it!