Dreamweaver '04 is horrible!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by _bnkr612, Apr 3, 2004.

1. _bnkr612 macrumors 6502a

_bnkr612

Is it just me or is Dreamweaver 2004 a horrible replacement for MX?
    I have had nothing but problems with '04, from table problems (not being able to select a table) to it getting all out of whack when placing an image in or trying to split the cell. I hate this program so much. I wish I had MX regular back. If anyone can tell me how to customize the settings so I can have all control to myself and lose that little red outline of the box (which only makes things worse) that would be awesome. I can't even select css text in a table... WHY?!?

Some help would be appreciated,

_Bnkr

2. Laslo Panaflex macrumors 65816

Laslo Panaflex

yeah, dreamweaver sucks on the mac. I used the trial of dreamweaver 04 trail on my dual 2gig g5 and it was WAY slow and totally buggy. I quickly went back to my 1.4 gig athalon PC running MX. I want to use my mac for web design, but all I know is dreamweaver, and it sucks on the mac.

3. havok416 macrumors newbie

4. RBMaraman macrumors 65816

RBMaraman

I use Dreamweaver MX 2004 and have absolutely no problems. I actually think it's extremly better than MX. I admit, it was slow at first, but once I installed the 7.0.1 update, I saw a dramatic performance increase.

By the way, I'm running it on a 2.5 year old iBook G3 500.

5. _bnkr612 thread starter macrumors 6502a

_bnkr612

Thanks, but I have downloaded the upgrade, but it still is crappy. I suppose I will just have to "barrow" MX from a friend. I was a huge fan DW.

6. RBMaraman macrumors 65816

RBMaraman

Have you repaired permissions since you installed the 7.0.1 update? I didn't at first, and saw no change. Once I repaired permissions, that's when the performance increase took place.

7. realityisterror macrumors 65816

realityisterror

even typing was slow for me before i upgraded to 7.0.1...

maybe you should you upgrade your computer. 1.6mhz isn't too fast nowadays... or maybe you could just fix your sig ;) ....

reality

8. beg_ne macrumors 6502

I haven't had a chance to evaluate 2004 that much yet so i am unsure about some of the problems you are having. In my (very) limited testing i've had no trouble selecting css text in a table or splitting cells etc. yet.

Here are some things that might help you though,

Under preferences uncheck the Show box for the "Mouse-Over" in the Highlighting section.

Also from the menu bar, View -> Visual Aids. Turn off Table Widths and Table borders. However i just discovered if you keep table widths on i've discovered if you click on the width at the bottom it will select the entire table (which has always been a pain in the ass with DW IMO)

You may also want to change the keyboard shortcuts so Cmd+Up and Cmd+Down as set to "Move to Top/Bottom of file".

Unfortunately it looks like Macromedia removed the ability to remap the Preferences shortcut key in 2004... Hey Macromedia geniuses the correct Shortcut for Preferences is Cmd+, NOT Cmd+U!!

9. _bnkr612 thread starter macrumors 6502a

_bnkr612

Too fast?

Kid, my computer is plenty fast for the apps I use. I am just lucky to have a G5 anyway. I do plan to upgrade the memory soon. But my funding from my makers has slowed down. Milk it for as long as you can!

10. _bnkr612 thread starter macrumors 6502a

_bnkr612

All fixed except...

Things seem to be better, but now when I set a table in a table, I can't resize it once I select off of it. What gives?

11. Pandakin macrumors newbie

I think Macromedia stinks. Flash MX 2004 is just like all the other MX 2004 apps - slow, buggy and very unstable - even when u upgrade the patches. My main app on my mac is flash and second main app is dreamweaver - since i paid to upgrade to mx 2004 - my productivity has lowered cos it is sooo slow on my G5. Macromedia should have shame - MX 2004 was gonna be a great update and many of the features they promised especially some of the cool stuff they said they were gonna do with the ui never materialised. Personally i think MX 2004 was the worst bit of money i have spent in a long time. I had to go back to MX!

12. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

LOL. :D well i'm with realityisterror on this one. that's not the fastest computer i've ever seen... in fact i dont' think i've ever heard of one like yours before. but hey, if it's okay for the apps you use... :p

back to the topic... i haven't had any problems with DW yet... but im getting the update just in case. i've been having some issues with Flash this afternoon though... aaaarrrrrggggghhhhh!! :eek: :mad: :rolleyes:

13. rice_web macrumors 6502a

rice_web

Hey, don't be too hard on him. Now, I didn't know that the PowerMac G5 even RAN at 1.6MHz. In fact, reading through IBM's website, it can't even be assumed that it does. Would the system bus be 800KHz? Well, I guess I have seen laptops like that.

Maybe you should consider one of the new G5s. Jobs did say G5 PowerMacs up to 3.0GHz this summer, so should you consider upgrading then.

But wow, 768MBs of RAM on such a slow system? Seems like a real waste. By the way, did you notice that he has 160 hard drives in his system? He's decked out such an old computer, and at what cost? He could have easily purchased a new G5.

14. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

_bnkr612, hope i didn't seem too hard on you. i just can't bare to see you keep your sig like that. :)

15. _bnkr612 thread starter macrumors 6502a

_bnkr612

Terrible Typo...

Yeah, I fixed that little typo, I just upgraded from a Commadore... So I am new to all this gigabyte lingo!

I went back to DW MX, tired of the problems with '04 (post update).

Thanks for the observation...

_cheers

16. Dr. No macrumors regular

Sys Requirements

I noticed that the requirements for '04 say it needs a 500 MHz G3. Will a 400 G4 work??

17. macphisto macrumors regular

Can't say for sure, but I think that it is far better than the latest iteration of GoLive (CS).

18. nesbitt_a macrumors 6502

I've installed the 7.0.1 update and repaired permissions - and dreamweaver screams along on my powerbook 1.25. At least macromedia had the sense to recognise their latest release was slow - and did something about it. Good to see that money we spend on application licenses is actually being put to good use.

I wish they'd speak to the folks at apple at get those annoying filevault issues solved.

-- Andrew.