DreamWeaver 8 - saving a site to local drive???

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by mac-convert, Nov 11, 2006.

1. mac-convert macrumors 6502a

mac-convert

I have recently switched to a mac :D after years (eons) on Windows, and I'm lovin' it! I'm running FrontPage on the PC and have a web site published. I just downloaded DW 8 to test, and have almost decided to make the big move. I have one problem, and the answer isn't obvious to me. I can connect to my server (a hosted service) with ftp in DW8 and retrieve everything. Short of saving every single file I have out there, is there a way to mass save the entire site to a local folder? Oh, I was smart in hind-sight not to use FP extensions, so I don't need to worry about those. :)

Thanks in advanced - back to the DW8 manuals, etc., to see if I can find the answer, but no luck yet. :(

2. nightelf macrumors 6502

You can use Transmit to download all the content of your site to a folder. You just have to select and drag.

Transmit is the best FTP app for Mac.

3. mac-convert thread starter macrumors 6502a

mac-convert

nightelf, thanks for the reply on this.

I was hoping that I could find a way in DW8 to d/l the files to my local drive (synchronize from the site to locally), but that seems to be an elusive option. I will probably explore an FTP client to do this initially and then work with DW8. At the same time, it seems reasonable for a package this popular and costly to have this capability, especially if one has a lot of sites, and wants to switch, say from FP to DW.

Thanks again and cheers - I'll post over at Adobe and see it someone there has a method using the DW interface.

4. stevep macrumors 6502a

stevep

Dreamweaver's ftp capability is a bit flakey in my experience - whenever I try it all I get is a long wait followed by failure. I use Cyberduck instead - fast and always does the job.

5. mac-convert thread starter macrumors 6502a

mac-convert

Steve, thanks

That kind of verifies what I've been reading in the forum for DW. People are screaming for better functionality. But my problem is that for the life of me, I cannot figure out how to transfer my files from my hosting service to my Mac - I have a site folder pre-built. When I first started DW, I managed to set up an FTP connect to my site and get my files/folders displayed over on the right side under Files. I just can't figure out how to xfer them to my Mac folder. I've been reading about the get/put (which I understand as an IT professional) and about the synchronize (I understand the concept) but I just can't find the right menu/option/what to make it happen. :( :mad:

Thanks again...

6. mac-convert thread starter macrumors 6502a

mac-convert

Yee-Haw - figured it out. Had to change my perspective, but it works as anticipated. Will post the correct way to do this if anyone wants it.
    :eek: :) :D

7. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

Dreamweaver wants to keep a local copy of everything - so can't you just sync the entire site? (I use sftp rather than ftp. Dreamweaver can speak secure protocols, unlike Frontpage)

8. mac-convert thread starter macrumors 6502a

mac-convert

As it turned out, it wasn't an FTP problem that I had. Using another FTP program would not have solved the problem. I had a basic non-understanding (my terminology - not a mis-understanding) of how DW operates.

What I did first (wrongly) was to make sure that I could connect to my site via FTP and see my folders and files. That being successful, I then attempted to create the site locally. That's the part that I didn't quite grasp correctly.

The fix was to delete the connection to the site, and then tell DW to create a new site. That gave me the choices I need to first declare a local site (local file storage), then tell DW where the real site existed and how to connect. Given that setup, there is a synchronization option to move all the files from the site to the local storage, using the builtin FTP in DW. And that worked flawlessly.

9. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I was going to say that you should be able to import the site after giving Dreamweaver the location. I'd done that with GoLive but I never had much luck with Dreamweaver.

10. ChicoWeb macrumors 65816

ChicoWeb

Once you "Manage" a website in Dreamweaver, you can FTP, sync and move files very easily. I prefer it for the basic stuff that we do at my firm. Although changing perms isn't really an option in DW. Managing your site also sets up a virtual site so you can preview it before you upload.