Dreamweaver alternatives on intel?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by andrewedwards, Oct 19, 2006.

1. andrewedwards macrumors newbie

Hi,

I normally use Dreamweaver 8. However since swapping my powerbook for a macbook pro I am finding the PowerPC Dreamweaver a little on the slow and unstable side compared to Universal apps.

I only use a fraction of dreamweavers capability. I essentially require html editing, code highlighting, and good ftp integration allowing easy site management and syncronisation.

While I have seen a few decent editors I am looking for something that treats the site as a single project.

Does anyone have any recommendations for an OS X Universal application?

Thanks, Andrew.

2. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

i'm not sure of any all in one alternatives, but i'd point you towards TextMate for the editing and Transmit for the FTPing.

TextMate isn't a WYSIWYG html editor, but it is pretty damn good for everything. it can manage "projects" too.

Transmit is probably the best FTP programme ever written. Utterly fantastic. Has a sync option :)

Of course, if you're looking for a WYSIWYG editor, I've not helped much :rolleyes:

3. the-ammo-man macrumors newbie

If you are looking for html support via "hand-coding" it, then I would recommend TextMate by MacroMates.

Although no built in FTP support, it does support the rest of your requirements ranging from highlighting of code to complete project management (just tell it to open up the foler instead of the one file. It's also inexpensive and capable of color coding other languages beside HTML too!

I've been using it for the last few months and have been nothing but impressed with it.

Check out some of the screencasts on their site as well. This will show you some of the robust power and great features they have put into TextMate.

Hope that helps!

.:: The Ammo Man ::.
    ~if you see me running...don't ask, just follow~
    :eek:

4. the-ammo-man macrumors newbie

looks like I spent to long on my recommendation and bigandy beat me to it! LOL. guess next time I'll shorten it down and type faster...

.:: The Ammo Man ::.
    ~if you see me running...don't ask, just follow~
    :eek:

5. andrewedwards thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the comments. I actually already own TextMate following some ruby on rails work I did. I was initially looking for something with built in ftp but combined with Transmit it's probably my next best option.

Andrew

6. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

TextWrangler has built-in s/ftp capability. And it's free. :)

That's the only text editor I use (though I use it with Transmit most of the time).