dreamweaver has left my computer ?????

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by spxy, Jul 11, 2004.

1. spxy macrumors newbie

Help.My copy of dreamweaver has disappeared.I clinked on the icon this morning and a question mark appeared over it.I looked in the application folder and the whole file has gone.
    What has happened?
    I wouldn't have deleted it.
    Has the computer done something mad, or have I downloaded something stupid.The only thing I can think I have done is use a defrag programe since I last used dreamweaver.
    Help.
    Can I get it back??

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

First of all, there's no need to use a defragmenting program with Panther, since Panther handles it well on its own. In fact, it's quite possible that Dreamweaver's still there, just inaccessible due to directory corruption - in that case (I'd do this anyway just to be safe) you have one of two options: boot into single-user mode (hold Command+S when booting) and run fsck, or, if you're uncomfortable at the command line, boot your Mac from the Mac OS X install CD (or restore CD, if your Mac came with Panther), then when it prompts you for a language, don't select one - go to the Installer menu and choose Open Disk Utility. Once in Disk Utility, check your disk(s), fix any errors, and check again until no errors are found. Reboot your Mac when done.

3. spxy thread starter macrumors newbie

"Open Disk Utility. Once in Disk Utility, check your disk(s), fix any errors, and check again until no errors are found. Reboot your Mac when done."

Thanks.Done that but it didn't find any errors.
    Whats fsck?

4. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Short for "File System Check", fsck performs the same checks Disk Utility does, except that it's a command-line utility.

5. paulypants macrumors 6502a

paulypants

I've never seen OS X randomly delete an app on it's own, can't you just reinstall it from the disk? Or don't you have a disk?

6. dvdh macrumors 6502

dvdh

Had a similar problem with OS 9.2 and Flash one time. Was working late (usually the starting line in computer disaster stories . . . ) when Flash crashed. Since this was OS 9, it took the whole system down with it, and when I rebooted, no more Flash. No amount of searching could locate it, and neither was it to be found after a session with Disk Warrior.

7. spxy thread starter macrumors newbie

No I dont have a copy, it was from a friend.
    I belive I have disc warrior , what does that do?

8. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

musicpyrite

Some people might call that stealing!!!

It is a disk repair thingy.

9. spxy thread starter macrumors newbie

"Some people might call that stealing."
    Actually it was a multi license student version, and I was a student until a few weeks ago.
    Any ideas as to why it should dissapear?
    Could someone have got into my computer from the internet?

10. whfsdude macrumors 6502a

You can actually download Dreamweaver on Macromedia's site. You just have to have a valid code. ...And not stolen!

11. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

And some people - like me - don't call it stealing. Stealing implies that something is taken. When you copy a CD, the original is still there - it's not taken. The original owner doesn't lose anything.

But I'm not trying to say that copying CDs is right, and I certainly don't want to start a flamewar :eek:

12. NusuniAdmin macrumors 6502a

NusuniAdmin

#1, when you do a disk defragment on os x you are risking a lot. Norton utilities is very good at doing damage to your system. Like someone alreayd mentioned it could have been corrupted. In addition to that (i posted this in another thread too) defragging on os x can sometimes cause files/folders to move on the system. Its just wierd. Have you tried doing a full system search for it?

#2, noone could have hacked your computer unless you had a service like telnet running. It is physically impossible to hack a computer unless there is a service running that will allow outside visitors, whether it be telnet or apache. let alone its unix and unix is a pain in da @$$ to hack.