Dreamweaver MX 2004 or GoLive CS 7?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by iKwak, Dec 6, 2003.

1. iKwak macrumors member

Nov 20, 2003
    I am using an iBook 800mhz with 256megs of ram.

I need a web designing software and I am stuck between the Dreamweaver MX 2004 and Adobe GoLive CS 7.

I am going to get a book to learn as I am a beginner. What I would like to know is which software can my iBook handle without constant lag and problems. I am not planning on upgrading my ram.

And recommendation on which one is a better investment is very welcomed! TIA.
  2. caveman_uk Guest

Feb 17, 2003
    Hitchin, Herts, UK
    Have you also considered Freeway or Freeway Express from Softpress? Although not as well known as the other two you mention the Softpress products both seem to get good reviews. Express is also a lot cheaper - $99 boxed.
  3. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Oct 5, 2001
    San Diego, CA
    Your iBook meets the minimum requirements for both programs, so you shouldn't have too many problems running either one.

I'm partial to Dreamweaver, but I haven't had the chance to use either one of the new versions, so I can't objectively compare them.
  4. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Jun 25, 2002
    Gone but not forgotten.
    I've been using GoLive from version 4 to version 6 and I really like how it lends itself to print-like design. It's pretty easy to know where things are because Adobe makes them accessible.

I recently bought Studio MX 2004 and I'm struggling to use Dreamweaver. I know it has a lot in it, but finding things is a nightmare. It's also somewhat slow in comparison to GoLive. However, it found issues immediately with my older pages--problems that Adobe not only let me make but helped me make. If you're going CSS, you won't have these problems, of course.

Certainly, if you have time to poke and prod Dreamweaver, go for it. If you want something a bit more intuitive, use GoLive.
  5. macwill macrumors newbie

Nov 29, 2003
    Barcelona (Spain)
    I used Dreamweaver and Golive, and for me the more "macable" is Golive.

Dreamweaver seems made for Windows, and its kind of thinking, and Golive is easy-to-use, easy to find things, easy to create a web age in seconds, also if you don't have no idea, good for team working, etc...

I use Golive CS in work and home, and it's a good app.

I'll recommend you.
  6. Thom_Edwards macrumors regular

Apr 11, 2003
    like the posts above say, golive is easier to manage and is thus more productive. there are more features in dreamweaver, but a lot of those features i rarely have a use for. also, being a beginner, the learning curve is far less steep for golive.

i started with golive myself, and have tried dreamweaver a bit but always go back to golive. maybe the opposite would be true if i started with dreamweave, but for some reason i doubt it.
  7. iKwak thread starter macrumors member

Nov 20, 2003
    Thanks for the recommendation.
    I'm sold to GoLive CS.
  8. niter macrumors 6502

Sep 9, 2003
    Would someone describe GoLive to me a bit more?

I recently switched over completely to Apple with a new iBook 12". The only reason I am still holding on to my PC is for publisher (which I figure PrintShop can replace) and Dreamweaver. Once I get PrintShop and Dreamweaver, I will no longer need my PC. Is GoLive better? What makes it better?
  9. new2mac macrumors newbie

Nov 25, 2003
    I agree Golive is more intuitive. But didn't Adobe take out anything to do with the creation of Dynamic sites? I code in PHP and lots in Coldfusion and I like Dreamweavers CF suport. (still on windows until I can afford the 17" PB) so any thoughts as to how to get around that one? I really don't want to have to buy CS Premium and then DW only for CF
  10. grafikat macrumors 6502a

Dec 5, 2003
    I've used both, used DW first actually, but I prefer GoLive.
    I have a battered old PC that I'm going to have to take out of mothballs as my G5 won't do windows yet, and I have 1 client that *insists* his website is maintained with FrontPage. Oh Well, okyakusama wa kamisama desu!
  11. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Aug 9, 2002
    I wish I could provide more help.. But what I can say is I have Dreamweaver MX 2004 and GoLive CS, and I use them both. They both have their strengths and their weaknesses, but you shuoldn't be disappointed with either.
  12. Cogar macrumors newbie

Dec 1, 2003
    The source code produced by Dreamweaver is very close to standard HTML and javascript. GoLive's output is not. If you want code that will be more easily and correctly displayed on all computers with all browsers, you will have better luck with Dreamweaver.
  13. new2mac macrumors newbie

Nov 25, 2003
    THing is I want all the other Adobe Apps. GoLive CS looked like it did write proper code at least when you exported a layout from indesign all divs and css....? Maybe I'm missing something. I figure I only want to spend the money once so......
  14. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Jun 25, 2002
    Gone but not forgotten.
    Older GoLive code, prior to CSS, tends to be non-standard. If you use GoLive and use their grid control, you're in trouble.

Stick to CSS and you're fine with either.

You probably already know this but the ColdFusion server does not run on Mac OS X but you can still develop for it in Dreamweaver for Mac OS X.
  15. Marc the Mac macrumors member

Jan 6, 2002
    United Kingdom
    re. cold fusion on mac

Cold Fusion can run on OSX
    Just install JRun and then the Jrun version of Cold fusion. Do a search on macromedia and you should find it.
  16. new2mac macrumors newbie

Nov 25, 2003
    Hmmm. But then if the dev server doesn't run on OSX, why does MM have a Mac OSX download for Coldfusion?
  17. Aeolius macrumors 6502a

Jul 25, 2002
    I've been using GoLive since before the days when Adobe bought GoLive CyberStudio and made it there own. Now that Adobe has removed Dynamic content from GoLive and canceled development of LiveMotion, I have ordered Dreamweaver.
  18. g808 macrumors regular

Oct 6, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    I guess I'm a bit biased since I started using Dreamweaver a few years ago, but I like Dreamweaver MX 2004 MUCH better than GoLive.

After switching to Mac I tried GoLive, and just hated it. I guess for a beginner some of the features I value might not be important to you. I like the ability to use the split screen (see code and design in one view), the floating properties window so I can control the attributes of each object easier, etc. I can see how it would be easy to get overwhelmed by all the features, but once you get used to it you'll be glad it has all that.

The only complaint I would have is that Dreamweaver is a bit heavy and can seem a bit slow at times, but I still would use it over GoLive anyday.

I say get a trial copy of each and see which you like better.
  19. Freakk123 macrumors regular

Feb 19, 2003
    Bronx, NY
    I have been MUCH more succesful w/ dreamweaver than GoLive. Both the new versions are good, but, I would choose Dreamweaver. Its (relatively) easy to use, fairly straight forward, and has a better UI. I'd highly recommend it!
  20. niter macrumors 6502

Sep 9, 2003
    I posted earlier that I have the same computer as you do, except for that I increased the RAM to 640 MB. I have not seen anything that screams I need Go Live! since my first post, so I will toss in my 2 cents and why I decided to get Dreamweaver. In the past, I have used Dreamweaver on my PC (two different versions), and I loved it enough to consider it as a software that I needed to replace for my switch. My fiance got it for me for Christmas, so I can tell you how it runs on the computer after then. Of course, I may not be too much help because I have not had the time to do anything complicated.

Another key factor for me is that as I get educational discounts, Dreamweaver is significantly cheaper. I could get the whole Macromedia Studio with Flash for $50 less than the price of Go Live! Of course, they are the same price for non-educational pricing. Also, a previous poster mentioned being able to see both the code and design simultaneously in Go Live! only, but I can do that in Dreamweaver too.

I would take another poster's suggestion of downloading the demo for both and seeing what you like better. I have the demo for Dreamweaver MX currently, but I have not gotten a chance to play with it (pesky finals). Face value it looks the same as the PC version, and if this is true, then I know it is a very easy to use program and I love it.