Dreamweaver MX 2004 or GoLive CS?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by bigsteve3, Sep 9, 2004.

1. bigsteve3 macrumors member

Hi guys,

I'm finally breaking down and buying some web design software. I've been coding by hand since Netscape 1.1 :)

My only question is, which product is better? Price isn't really an issue, since I will get the edu discount at my school. I'm concerned because I've read all over the place of bugs and general slowness in Dreamweaver MX 2004. I downloaded demos of both, and GoLive seemed a bit better to me. Admittedly, I know very little about either.

What are your opinions (of those of you that own/use either product)?

I'm hoping to purchase one of the two tomorrow (before the weekend).

Thanks,

Stephen

2. NusuniAdmin macrumors 6502a

NusuniAdmin

i use dreamweaver mx 2004 and love it. This is, however, one of the few professional apps that DOES run faster on windows. Dreamweaver (even though 2004 is altivec capable) has never been a very speedy mac app.

3. Bluefusion macrumors 6502

Bluefusion

I've used GoLive for many, many years, and know pretty much every feature of it imaginable.

At one point I decided to try Dreamweaver--my first inclination was to hate it. My second and third inclinations were, not surprisingly, also to hate it. However, over time I learned my way around the interface, and have come to find it works pretty well, overall. That said, it has some annoying bugs and a few very un-Maclike "workarounds", as well as being very clearly designed for Windows.

GoLive is a Mac app, through and through. It looks it, and acts it, and still feels (to me) far less cumbersome. That being said, Dreamweaver has some awesome features, as well as being from what I can tell a little bit faster.

Both are good products, but if you use Photoshop or any other Adobe apps, GoLive is going to give you the most consistent interface and the best integration with your existing workflow. If you primarily use a work PC, or use Fireworks/Flash MX a lot, Dreamweaver is more to your liking.

Both are good, but my vote is for GoLive.

4. superfunkomatic macrumors regular

i'd recommend dreamweaver since you already know how to code. plus mx 2004 has CSS abilities as soon as you start typing, great for doing rough drafts or mockups. plus i found the data driven parts and the general level of the code to be better in dreamweaver.

5. bigsteve3 thread starter macrumors member

Blue,

Having said that you worked with GoLive for a while, how well does it incorporate flash content? Can it create nice little buttons like Dreamweaver? Or will I have to do that myself?

I'd like to use flash a bit, but honestly am leaning away from Dreamweaver at the moment. It seems logical to think that Dreamweaver would have more flash features, since their company created flash.

Thanks for your help,

-S

6. superfunkomatic macrumors regular

the macromedia products work best with other macromedia software and files. the bonus of dreamweaver is using tags for things like PHP pages, although there is not a lot of snippits of code there i'm sure it'll grow in the next version. then it's very easy to code, run the server, mysql database all from your mac - even from a laptop for testing.

i've always like the macromedia integration and interfaces, more so than the adobe suite - even after using photoshop for years. i think it's tools you need and comfort - otherwise it's like choosing freehand or illustrator.

7. Nuc macrumors 6502a

Nuc

Trials

I prefer golive. I believe the integration with the other Adobe CS products are great.

Nuc