Dreamweaver or GoLive?

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by cleo, May 10, 2002.

1. cleo macrumors 65816

cleo

After I pay off my iMac, my next big purchase is going to be software. I'm definitely getting Photoshop. For a while I was planning on getting the Adobe Web Kit, that has Photoshop and GoLive, plus two others. But then I read the review of Dreamweaver MX in this month's Macworld, and it looks like it might be the better buy.

I don't need anything too hardcore - basically just update three sites at my school and doing other random projects. I write my own code, but BBEdit is too BB for me. On Windows I used to use HomeSite, which seems similar to Dreamweaver.

Any thoughts?

2. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

3. iGav macrumors G3

you can't much go wrong with either Dreamweaver or GoLive, I personally prefer GoLive, in my opinion and for my use I believe it is more powerful than Dreamweaver, however I've not tried DWMX so I can't say on that one....

Dreamweaver is easier to understand, and work..... GoLive is alittle more complex......

But as I said, you really can't go wrong with either, both generate reasonably clean code, and both are fun to use.....

4. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I've used both Dreamweaver and GoLive, but not the latest versions. I'm more partial to GoLive and I'm looking forward to getting v6. Regardless of which package you go with, you'll still have to learn your way around the program, I'd download demo versions if you can and see which one your more easily adapted to.

Good luck.

5. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I would go for Dreamweaver, but realy it's personal preference.
    I just happen to like Dreamweaver, can't wait for the final versions of the MX edition!

6. evildead macrumors 65816

evildead

I like Dreamweaver

I LIke Dreamweaver my self and... I use Flash so using Deamweaver make importing Flash movies simple. Its easy to use and I figured most if it out just by playing with it. It has a tutioral as well.... something I dont think goLive has.

-evildead

7. Choppaface macrumors 65816

golive can embed flash no prob

its really a personal preference. if you're used to adobe products like photoshop, you might find that you'll get to know the golive interface faster. they basically do the same thing, with some minor variation on the exact features they have.

download the trials...that would probably help you better decide

8. cleo thread starter macrumors 65816

cleo

Yeah, trials would be good... I'm just too damned impatient for them to be released. :D I did, however, try out FreeWay (as recommended by Gelfin), but that's not at all what I'm looking for. I'm going to go back and investigate BBE a bit more... I'm just looking for something that makes it easy to write my own code, and (ideally) that provides a preview pane to keep up with the changes I make.

9. Choppaface macrumors 65816

GoLive 5 had a terrible problem with that sort of thing. for complex layouts, I often got crashes doing that sort of edit & check thing. I've got GL6 but I haven't really tried it all that much yet, especially not doing that sort of thing. I doubt that it would crash though, as it seems that golive really got cleaned up for v6. the best way to do that though is to type in BBEdit and just reload in the browser. that's the most accurate way to preview stuff. I've often come across times when something looks find in golive but looks like crap in the browser. if you do it in BBEdit and preview in browser, you skip this time wasting step. I'm still inclined to use GoLive though for the mundane task of positioning and fussing with tables, though. I like BBEdit a lot too. I haven't really done hardly any pages from scratch in it (usually I just export a page from photoshop and then add the links and stuff by hand in golive or bbedit), but I *love* its syntax coloring for when I write PHP. but if it came down to the vitals, I could pull everything off with just photoshop and bbedit (and maybe flash too he he)

the page exporting thingy from Photoshop (or imageready for that matter) doesn't write super duper code, but it writes most of the basics....good enogh to just go into the html file and add any extra content

10. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Like other say, I think it's more personal pref than one being vastly superior to the other. I prefer Dreamweaver. DW's UI just seems more intuitive to me. It's kinda odd the AE and PS UI's are, IMO, very good, but, IMO the GoLive and Premiere ones are not. Even though they all have the same "Adobe look." Oh well...

Lethal

11. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

I agree with Lethal...the Dreamweaver UI is nicer for me to work with.

12. cleo thread starter macrumors 65816

cleo

Dreamweaver MX

Oooer, just downloaded the preview version of Dreamweaver MX. I like very, very much. I can basically set it up nearly exactly like HomeSite, which makes me very happy. Oh, for $400...