Dress up your new iMac

Discussion in 'Hardware Rumors' started by cryptochrome, Jan 8, 2002.

1. cryptochrome macrumors regular

My initial impression of the new iMac was that it was an ugly little chunk of modernist art. Then I warmed to the specs, and the advantages of the design, but even so I'm somewhat put off by the appearance. So I thought a while about what was bugging me... and decided it was the neck. If you're looking at the iMac head on with the screen down low, it kind of looks like a screen sitting on a hemisphere, and looks OK. But from the side or whatever, that spindly neck makes it look like the screen could break off. I'm not a big fan of the chrome (which I automatically expect to flake off eventually) or the austere white.

Too bad... but what can be done about it?

Changing the colors is not problem - just paint it. Or even change the casing - I wager it won't be long before somebody puts a translucent or wood case on it. But the neck is a functional entity you don't really want to mess with. But you can drape things over it! Cloth or plastic coverings could allow the neck, base and screen to blend together, while simultaneously changing the mood of your mac. The possibilities are many... although the only one I can think of right now is to cloak it in folds of black cloth like a wringwraith.

2. cryptochrome thread starter macrumors regular

Argh... I meant ringwraith (the dark riders who pursue frodo in Lord of the Rings, alot like the grim reaper).

3. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

ideas for the new iMac

I repeat it, the new iMac is a whole new canvas, you can dress it, you can paint on it things like:
    -an igloo
    -the world with continents and all
    -a succer ball
    -an eye
    -a tit
    -a space station with a big antena
    -in colors like pool balls
    -black like the death star
    -a face
    -a hat with a monitor in place of a propeller
    -a circus
    -an atomic plant
    -a baseball
    -a lands cape
    -the moon shape
    -you can place stikers with indians and cowboys and recreate the far west
    -etc.

4. phaedrus Guest

I've just been comparing it to pics of IBM's NetVista, another LCD all-in-one box. The NetVista is a tangle of formal compromises. Long, angled solids, layered onto each other with 45 degree slopes. It looks like a pagan ziaggurat or an Abram M1 tank stood on it's end. Then there's the cube. A monolith floating above a sphere, pure, clean, even classical. The Romans invented the dome, and there is hardly a more beautiful or structurally sound architectonic. I think I will decorate my dome to look like St. Paul's cathedral (I will probably not bother to put frescos on the inside!)

5. Phaedrus Guest

Oops. In the previous post I meant "imac" not "cube."

6. F/reW/re macrumors 6502

F/reW/re

Don't you know about the "edit" button below you're post. Press it and change the wrong words instead of making a new post ;)

7. phaedrus Guest

Unfortunately, since I am not a member I do not have access to this feature. Perhaps it is time to sign up. . . .

8. evildead macrumors 65816

evildead

join

You should join. This is a great site... been posting here for a while. And.. if you register.. no one can post with your name.