Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Did you ever drink too much, say to the point of throwing up? Isn't it crazy that this is considered minor alcohol poisoning, and yet we do this to ourselves??

I recently went to a conference and there was free alcohol --- beer and wine (red and white) --- before and during our free dinner. :D That's sort of typical for many conferences. Little did they know that the students from my group would go a little far with the drinking. Being the students that we are, we took full advantage and just drank and enjoyed ourselves, but free alcohol + young people usually isn't a good combo. Anyway, there was some vomiting (one person did that 4 times, and he's usually doesn't go overboard like that...), and there were some hangovers the next day.

Then I thought about how stupid it is, and yet I know I'm gonna do it again during the next conference. :p Do we just love self-destruction or something?

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
Throwing up from drinking is a sign that you're soft.

Real drinkers can keep it down, or replace it when it comes up.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
Abstract said:
Did you ever drink too much, say to the point of throwing up?

One time in my late twenties, I had one particular evening with friends that involved spirits of some kind... probably vodka.

The next day at work, I fainted. And when I was well enough — or so I thought — to go home, I vomited in a bin just off Trafalgar Square in front of a group of horrified tourists. It was just yellow bile.

The next couple of days, I couldn't hold anything down at all and occasionally kept on retching bile. It took holing up in a hotel in Canterbury with only mineral water for company for 3 days to get over it. (There's another story there.)

Pretty bad alcohol poisoning... Not good. Not grown-up and certainly not clever.

yoak

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2004
Oslo, Norway
It will take years to learn for most people, and forever to others.
I´m in my thirties now and haven´t thrown up in some years, but my hangovers get worse by the month. I can´t have 3 beers and NOT get a headache the day after.
Still I drink, why? Short term memory loss I guess;)
I do drink a lot less often than when I was in my twenties though, so I guess I learnt something.

UKnjb

macrumors 6502a
May 23, 2005
London, UK
Yup. Done that. I was pretty well brought up by the crews from my rowing club, where I started as a cox - 10 years old. We had bought a new 'Eight' and christened it - club party after, and there was limitless ice-cold sherry afterwards. Long story short, I was totally trashed, trying to walk home = crawling in the snow in the gutter (it was February) until someone from the club put me in his car and drove me home. Mother opened door - "Hello! Did you have fun? Who was there? etc" and all I could do was stand there and throw up all over the place. And then slept for about 36 hours straight through. NEVER been drunk since and have total aversion to sherry.

And the only other time was at a party after a regatta (older and bigger and now rowing, not coxing). Too much exercise, too much beer too quickly. It was a first date, already posted, and I threw up over the girl after our first kiss. That was awful. :eek:

Don't drink much now.

Blue Velvet said:
~snip~ It took holing up in a hotel in Canterbury with only mineral water for company for 3 days to get over it. (There's another story there.)

And that story would be ------- ? You can't stop there!

CorvusCamenarum

macrumors 65816
Dec 16, 2004
Birmingham, AL
yoak said:
It will take years to learn for most people, and forever to others.
I´m in my thirties now and haven´t thrown up in some years, but my hangovers get worse by the month. I can´t have 3 beers and NOT get a headache the day after.
Still I drink, why? Short term memory loss I guess;)
I do drink a lot less often than when I was in my twenties though, so I guess I learnt something.

What's a hangover? I've never had one. ;) I've never gotten sick either, and I used to be a heavy drinker.

jamesi

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2005
Davis CA
in my experience you can never drink too much. then again, i know i would say something differently tomorrow seeing as how im currently drunk.

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
Blue Velvet said:
The next day at work, I fainted. And when I was well enough — or so I thought — to go home, I vomited in a bin just off Trafalgar Square in front of a group of horrified tourists.

LOL!! But have you been able to drink Vodka since? I did a similar thing with Bourbon whiskey when I was 18, and have never been able to drink whiskies since. Just the smell of it sets my stomach heaving.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
dynamicv said:
LOL!! But have you been able to drink Vodka since? I did a similar thing with Bourbon whiskey when I was 18, and have never been able to drink whiskies since. Just the smell of it sets my stomach heaving.

Tequila and Black Sambucca are the same for me. Blllerrrrgghhhh!!!!

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
dynamicv said:
...But have you been able to drink Vodka since?

Oh yes... that particular alcohol-revulsion is reserved for gin after an epic Beefeater-fuelled evening of falling down when I was about 18 or so.

Juniper berries... shudder.

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
Chundles said:

Blue Velvet said:
Oh yes... that particular alcohol-revulsion is reserved for gin after an epic Beefeater-fuelled evening of falling down when I was about 18 or so.

I spy another thread in here somewhere :D

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
Blue Velvet said:

Oh yeah, Gin's not too far off.

Never a good idea to drink Bombay Sapphire G&T's out of coffee mugs followed by martini night at the local pub. I honestly could not move. No hangover or sickness - I wasn't that drunk - just got very melancholy then went to bed and felt totally paralysed.

Woke up fine the next morning though.

Tequila is another story. My tshirt from the first year I was in college (college, not uni) still has a faint whiff of tequila despite the fact that it's 5 years old and has been washed a million times.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Fourth big night in a row for me... I'm still at that stage where I'm telling myself I'll never drink again, and it's 8:00PM... Man, everything about drinking is just so unrealistic.

Applespider

macrumors G4
I have been, as I suspect most of us who drink, have at some point. But I've only reached the yellow bile stage once thankfully - and it happened at home when a friend was mixing some extremely generous Seabreezes where you really couldn't taste that she'd put a third of a bottle of vodka in each jug.

I learned pretty quickly after that what my limits are. I don't have any particularly bad memories of any one spirit. However, you may want to ask me again on Friday since we've got an unlimited drinks do for 7 hours on Thursday night with work...:p

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
Applespider said:
I have been, as I suspect most of us who drink, have at some point. But I've only reached the yellow bile stage once thankfully

Ooh, I've been well beyond that stage.... not pretty...

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
nightdweller25 said:
Alcohol is lame.:D

not lame, just overrated.
Never drunk too much. the most I've had is 2 glasses of bucks fizz. tradition on new years eve :)

Jaffa Cake

macrumors Core
Aug 1, 2004
The City of Culture, Englandshire
Blue Velvet said:
...an epic Beefeater-fuelled evening...
I'm glad you meant a night on the gin and not Her Majesty's Yeoman Warders – now that would be a story to tell... :p ;)

I've only been sick the once – although it wasn't until the next day. I hadn't had a particularly large amount to drink, and I suspect that I might have eaten something that was a bit off. Not pleasant though, whatever the explanation.

There were a couple of times when I was younger where I've felt incredibly ill the next day, and spent most of it feeling like I want to throw up (but never actually doing so) – on these occasions I'd been foolish enough to allow someone to feed me spirits. I avoid them at all costs nowadays. :eek:

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Dec 27, 2002
Chundles said:

Black Sambuca for me as well, but not because I have bad memories of it. I just think that the taste of black licorice is frackin' gross!! :mad: Liquify it, and it doesn't go down any better.

Peach Schnappes, on the other hand, is so good. I used to love that stuff straight up before I studied. That was during my 1st year of uni. Dr. McGillycuddies (aka: "The Good Doctor"™) always made for a good night. :)

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
Abstract said:
Black Sambuca for me as well, but not because I have bad memories of it. I just think that the taste of black licorice is frackin' gross!! :mad: Liquify it, and it doesn't go down any better.

Peach Schnappes, on the other hand, is so good. I used to love that stuff straight up before I studied. That was during my 1st year of uni. Dr. McGillycuddies (aka: "The Good Doctor"™) always made for a good night. :)

There's a place between Jindy and Thredbo that make their own schnappes. They make a pear schnappes that tastes like freshly made pear juice, no overwhelming alcohol taste or sickly sweetness, it literally tastes like pear juice. It's the most wonderful thing I've ever drunk in the snow and is the one thing I think of when I have to serve a bunch of drunk builders a pile of tequila slammers followed by black sambucca or even whisky shots. It reminds me that there are some really good drinks in the world.

dops7107

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2005
Perth, Oztrailya
Well I'm currently recovering from a hangover now. It's been a long time since I was sick through alcohol - not since uni days, about five years ago. But I do suffer badly from headaches and general nausea the next day. I think it's beer that does it, which is a shame as I quite like to drink it.

Gin and tequila seem to be getting a hard time on this thread! I'll stick up for 'em - I prefer them over whisky or vodka any day. :eek:

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Dec 27, 2002
Yeah, out of those four, tequila is my favourite. I can't drink the others straight, but tequila with salt and a lemon is quite ace. Heck, I can't even stand gin. Vodka and whiskey are tolerable.

@Chundles: You like snow? I'm actually Canadian! Love the snow. Most Australians just don't understand. And beware of those drinks where you can't taste the alcohol. They just make you messed up if you drink them too fast, and you usually do since "it only tastes like juice." ;)

EGT

macrumors 68000
Sep 4, 2003
I'd be lying if I said I didn't enjoy the occasional drink but I haven't done so for quite some time. I'd had a batch particularly fierce hangovers, one after another a few months back. No alcohol for at least 3 months.

"Orange Juice for me, Please." :p

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
Abstract said:
@Chundles: You like snow? I'm actually Canadian! Love the snow. Most Australians just don't understand.

I'm presuming that's a joke. I know that you know that about half of my nearly 3000 posts have been either "geeze it's hot, I miss the snow" or "yay I'm going skiing soon."

About 20 minutes from my second home (sadly sold earlier this year :( )
39973975_af0a9e5b5a.jpg

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Dec 27, 2002
I remember you saying you liked cold weather, but I associated that with "Australian cold," or around 10 C. :p People wear coats and scarves when it's that cold around here. They really bundle up, put the beer down, and pick up the hot chocolate and fancy coffees. It's "cute." ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.