Drive Icons keep moving

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by kaiserwilhelm, Jan 20, 2004.

1. macrumors newbie

OK, this is probably pretty darn easy. I have a desktop background by peterjsucy.com.
    In it it has places for docks and also for my drives to be located along a semi-circle.
    Everytime I place my drives in these positions it works fine until I restart.
    Why do my drives go back to straight up and down everytime I restart?
    (Panther 10.3.2)

2. macrumors newbie

Icons

Don't know. I have the same experience. Would love to know how to SAVE the positions of my icons.

3. macrumors regular

I assume that you have it set in Finder preferences to show hard disks on the desktop, which will automatically reset their positions on startup. The easiest way around this is to create an alias on your desktop for each drive, which should allow the positions to remain the same after startup. If you're feeling adventurous / bored and you don't want that little arrow thingy in the bottom left corner, you could create an applescript instead for each drive and copy the icons from the drive... but you'll probably just want to create an alias instead.

4. thread starter macrumors newbie

DUH!!! I never thought of alias's! I made the alias's and then told my preferences NOT to show my Hard drives and connected server - voila!
    Thanks a million