drive not mounted

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by nymale, Dec 20, 2006.

1. nymale macrumors newbie

hi all. i have an older mac,a G3, running 10.2.8. it was running great. now, all of a sudden, i can't boot up. i tried the C key with the original OSX disk, but it won't boot up with that either. i got it to boot up once with the disk, it couldn't fix the drive because it said it wasn't mounted. since then,:confused: grey screen , disk with a question mark. any ideas from anyone would be greatly appreciated.

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

So it's not consistently able to boot up from the CD? Are you confident enough to open her up and check the connections? If you boot whilst holding OPTION, what options does it give you (when the OSX disc is inserted)? :)

3. nymale thread starter macrumors newbie

option key also goes straight to grey screen with blinkink question mark. i did dismantle it, all the connections were good. i've zapped he p ram, put a new battery in nothing. cd spins for a couple of seconds, then the grey screen..:confused:

4. nymale thread starter macrumors newbie

5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Norton? Mate, lose the Norton. It was created in the late 16th century by the Fallen Angel himself, as a direct means to antagonise and belittle Mac users everywhere. Continue using Norton and your kids will be born backwards.

6. madmax_2069 macrumors 6502a

madmax_2069

and not to mention norton will over time frag the hard drive. something about working to close to the boot sector of the hdd . cant remember what really happens tho but use it a few more times then it will probably toast your hard drive. we Mac users use diskwarrior to repair the hdd cause it has proven itself not to frag the hdd and it will fix almost any problem with the hdd. i think its a OS X issue with norton. im not for sure if it will do the same if only OS 9 is installed on the hdd but i could be wrong but what ever you do if you love your Mac avoid anything norton for Mac like the plague

7. SmurfBoxMasta macrumors 65816

SmurfBoxMasta

Nortons for OS X = disconbobulated clustercrapintohell :D