Drive not seen on network - FAT32 problem?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by livingfortoday, Oct 19, 2006.

1. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

Hi all. I recently pieced together a Sawtooth G4 to use as a fileserver, and so far, so good. For the most part. One of my drives cannot be seen by networked computers for some reason, while all others can be. It is formated as FAT 32, which I'm thinking is the culprit. Is it the formatting that's causing the problem? Or is there something else?

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I think that might be the problem. How big is the drive? How big is the largest partition on the FAT32 drive? :)

3. livingfortoday thread starter macrumors 68030

It's a 200GB drive, which shows up as 189GB. It's one big ol' single partition.

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

It might be struggling because the partition is over 128GB. If it's not too much of a hassle, try partitioning it to less than 128GB. I don't know if this'll work so if it's too much trouble, then maybe don't try this. :eek:

5. livingfortoday thread starter macrumors 68030

Well, I'll have to wait until I can get a backup drive to move all the stuff off of it first. Then I'll try partitioning it as a Mac OS drive, and see if that works.

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

If you partition it as a Mac OS Extended (Journaled) drive then the 128GB size limit wouldn't apply, so you could keep it as a single partition if you choose. :)