drive read issues- 5g 30gb, not typical 60gb issues

Discussion in 'iPod' started by chaos86, Feb 9, 2006.

1. chaos86 macrumors 65816

chaos86

i have a 30gb 5g ipod and this happens with everything that wasnt encoded by apple. about once every 2 mintutes it freezes, screen and controls included, and about 1 in every 4 freezes the sound will not return when it unfreezes and continues the video. it happens on both the 1.0 and the 1.1 firmware. from everything I've read, the common playback problems ppl are talking about are "only a problem with the 60gb version" but mine is a 30gb.

from what i can gather the problem is that the ipod isnt reading ahead in time to play seamlessly when it needs to refill it's cache/ram. it takes a few seconds, then i feel the hard drive spin up, then a few seconds to read, then it continues to play. curiuosly, when i do anything that reads the hard drive (audio, photo, video, contacts, calendars), sometimes the drive doesnt even spin up for 15 to 30 seconds, the screen just remains completely frozen til the drive catches up. even stranger is that when this happens, say, with the first song in a playlist, sometimes the ipod's software 'gives up' on that song and goes on to track 2 because the drive didnt give it the file in time and it timed out and moved on.

now heres the interesting and depressing part. in the process of up/downgrading firmwares, after the reboot, I get the 'sad ipod' that tells me to go to apple.com/support/ipod. after a random (2 to 5) number of resets it boots fine and never gives me the error again. it always mounts fine, and every file on it plays in it's entirety (eventually) and the drive has 0 bad sectors.

does anyone else have any similar experience?
    does it sound like an the drive is dying and i should get it replaced?

thats what it sounds like to me but i dont want to because i just got my invisible shield on perfect and spend 2 hours filling the thing and i love it apart from it's problems.

2. chaos86 thread starter macrumors 65816

chaos86

3. Loge macrumors 68020

Loge

That seems like a faulty drive - I would return it under warranty. I have the 5G 60GB model and don't have any of those issues.

4. chaos86 thread starter macrumors 65816

chaos86

thats what i was thinking. i was just hoping it was a common issue that apple would fix in a firmware update soon.

thanks

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I hope you get a fix soon, too. What did you mean, exactly, by, "this happens with everything that wasnt encoded by apple?"

Do you mean songs purchased from the store work fine? Or do you mean that this only happens on songs that were ripped with some other program and imported into iTunes? Or do you mean it's format-dependent (i.e. it happens on MP3s or whatever, but not on M4A or M4P)?

6. chaos86 thread starter macrumors 65816

chaos86

you can ignore that now. that was in the early stages of testing, but now after more testing i have seen everything pause or skip. iTMS music, iTMS video, mp3s, audiobooks, handbrake videos, isquint videos, any podcasts, even notes, calendars, and addresses (if i havent already looked at them since i started the ipod because then theyre cached).

on top of all that, the sad faced ipod on ~75% of startups I think is enough to get it replaced.

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

8. chaos86 thread starter macrumors 65816

chaos86

she must have heard me talking about her because she hasn't misbehaved in a while now.

of course, I took most of the stuff off of it. I was at about 95% capacity before. Think it could be a fragmentation issue?