Drive Region Code?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Nekkid Fish, Jan 24, 2007.

1. Nekkid Fish macrumors member

I just inserted a DVD, which I'm going to move into iMovie ... but a box popped up that says "Since this is the first use of a DVD disc, the drive region code must be initialized before playing. You can only change the drive region code 5 times."

I don't have a clue what this means, and the Help section didn't make any sense to me either?

Can someone tell me what this is, and what region code I'm supposed to pick? :confused:

Thanks bunches! Jules

2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

DVDs often have region codes to link them to a geographic area...the US and Canada are Region 1, Europe is Region 2, etc. DVD drives also have region codes and can only play DVDs from their region (as well as region-free discs). However, you can change the region on your DVD drive five times. But once you run out of opportunities to change the region, your drive is locked to the last region that was set.

3. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Every (most) DVD's contain a region encoding at the behest of the studios, basically so you cant buy a DVD in the US and take it to europe where the movie hasn't been released yet.

The US is region 1.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dvd_region

Edit: Darn, too slow.

4. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

You've never heard of DVD region codes before?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD_region_codes

If you're in North America, chances are you have a region 1 disc, and that's what you're going to want to use.

Edit: Darn, doubly too slow :)

5. Americanloti macrumors member

Slightly OT:

Is there a way to... ehmm... reset the drive region?

6. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

You mean, after you have changed it 5 times and it becomes locked?

I think apple can do it for you, but they wont. I also believe that reinstalling the OS wont help either.

7. Americanloti macrumors member

Yeah. The thing is that I travel often back home in Italy where it's region 4. I already change it 5 times and now it's back on 1. I can definetely live with the DVD region locked, but it would be nice to get it region free.

8. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

It's locked in the drive's firmware. Search the forums for region dvd and you will find a solution but it will only worked if you haven't picked a region code yet.

9. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

FYI if you just want to play DVDs (won't help in iMovie), VLC can break past the region lock.

10. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Firstly, i think Italy is region 2 not 4. (I am in a similar situation, I live in the US but all my family is in the UK)

I think you are out of luck. Depends on what Mac you have. If you have a on older mac you used to be able to get around the region encoding by using VLC to play the DVD. New macs closed that loophole.

Only on older hardware, that loophole was closed a while back.

11. Nekkid Fish thread starter macrumors member

12. Americanloti macrumors member

I think I found the right thread, though it's saying that the new MB/MBP are very hard to get unlocked. Anyway I'll look into it, thanks!

I meant 2, I don't even know why I wrote 4. Anyway. I'm waiting for my MPB. I guess I'll keep region 1 and foregt about it. Thank you all! And Nekkid Fish sorry if I "stole" your thread.

13. hovinto6 macrumors newbie

14. indiean macrumors member

15. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

There is software that you can use to reset your DVD drives region code.

However, sometimes it will hose a drive. YMMV.

Some options stated above. Here's some others:

Option A is to have an external DVD player for your home region, and then use your MB/MBP DVD player when traveling.

Option B would be to copy (backup) your personally owned DVDs and make them region free. That way you don't have to continually reset the Region Code. Of course there may be copyright issues depending on your country.

Option C would be to backup your DVDs to your MB/MBP HD or an external that you carry. That way you can just watch your DVDs via HD. Of course there may be copyright issues depending on your country.

16. smueboy macrumors 6502a

smueboy

I found that the VLC works for DVD's without asking for the region code - just avoid using iDVD and you won't have to worry.

17. hajime macrumors 68020

Hello. I am still a bit confused. Could somebody please verify?

We know that US uses region code 1, Japan uses region code 2 and Korea/Hong Kong use region code 3.

If I buy a MBP in Korea/Hong Kong, I can play the DVDs bought there as many times as I want as the default region code is 3. However, if I want to play the DVDs bought in Japan, I just change the region code to 2. Once I have done it, I can play different DVDs from Japan as many times as I want until I change the region code to, say 1. I can then play different DVDs from the USA as many times as I want until I change the region code again later. I can do this 5 times in total. The last region code I change will be the one the DVD drive can play for the rest of its life. Am I correct?

18. old-wiz macrumors G3

via dvd player, yes.

19. hajime macrumors 68020

By dvd player, you mean SuperDrive in the MacBook Pro?

20. old-wiz macrumors G3

No, I mean OSx's built in DVDPlayer application. It doesn't matter which Mac, you obviously need a DVD drive (superdrive) to play DVDs.

21. hajime macrumors 68020

Thanks.