Drive usage app or widget?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Chaywa, Jan 23, 2006.

1. Chaywa macrumors member

Is there an app or widget that can show you how your drive is filled up by folder? In other words something that lists your directories in a hierachy starting at the most storage usage to the least? This would help me quickly find storage hogs and clean them up.

Thanks for your help.

2. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

You can do this right in the Finder, just click on your root folder (disk) and select list view (the "four little horizontal lines" icon at the top of the Finder window), then click the Size header (and choose "Calculate all sizes" from View Options in the View menu). But, for a better interface for what you're looking for, you can download OmniDiskSweeper.

3. ChrisFromCanada macrumors 65816

ChrisFromCanada

Much free-er and equally as good is Whatsize, look for it on macupdate.com

4. ChrisA macrumors G4

What you want is included with OSX and every other UNIX-like OS.
    Go to the termial and type "du -s * | sort -n" It will print the list of objects and the sie of each sorted by size.

If you leave off the "-s" you get a longer list that go into each folder and subfolder. That would be "du * | sort -n".

For details read the man page. Type "man du".

5. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

According to their website, OmniDiskSweeper is feww for just identifying the largest files, I guess you have to pay to have it delete stuff for you. Always seemed a bit silly for $15.

EDIT: feww = free :p

6. stridey macrumors 65816

stridey

I personally like Disk Inventory X. It's visual, so it's easy to see where your space is being taken up, either by file or folder.