Drive was working, error occured, wants me to format?!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by kgarchar, Dec 9, 2006.

1. kgarchar macrumors 6502

So I got this drive from my girlfriend, she asked me to recover her old pictures since I'm a nerd. The old windows XP drive was messed up in her old computer, but all her pictures were on another HD in the system, so I threw it into an external enclosure and all was going well until towards the end when an error occurred. I didn't think anything of it, so I just tried again and then the drive was not working. Now I unmounted and mounted, and OSX told me it wanted to initialize it and it was unrecognizable.

Anyone have any ideas? I was able to get the files that I originally copied, but that was about 3.5/5.5 GB of pictures. Still missing a lot of pictures that I need back :/.

2. MikeTheC Guest

MikeTheC

Gallifrey -- Capitol City, Prydonian Sector
    You might be able to do this repair work on a Mac, but more likely than not it will have to be done on the PC.

I don't have any drives I can hook up ATM which are either FAT32 or NTFS to try and test under DiskWarrior or TechTool Pro, and while I'm assuming they could probably both "see" the drive, I suspect they will not be able to do much with a Microsoft partition structure.

Good luck!