Driver + OS X

Discussion in 'Games' started by 5300cs, Apr 25, 2003.

1. 5300cs macrumors 68000

5300cs

Has anyone successfully run Driver under OS X? I tried contacting their technical support and they were of no help.

:(

2. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

To be honest, I don't think you can get it to work without re-writing Driver.
    Driver only supports 3dfx and Rave (Mac) as 3D engines, not OpenGL. Even if it did support OpenGL, the app would have to be carbonized too.
    Like Feral didn't just port F1 2000 to the Mac, but had to re-write it. The original game (EA) is a DirectX-game, and not OpenGL. Ofcourse they could use a lot of existing code (even some force feedback code!), but it was an outrageous effort by them to remake it. So I think for Driver it's the same story....

3. 5300cs thread starter macrumors 68000

5300cs

oof

ugh, I had no idea a re-write would be needed.:(

I thought it could run under classic, but it doesn't at all.

Were Driver 2 or 3 released for OS X ?

4. mangoman macrumors 6502a

mangoman

Ahhh, Driving Games...

Don't think that Driver 3 or 4 were released for OS X. I wish... Call me a throwback, but I'm STILL bummin' that Carmageddon 2 fell off the radar. Used to LOVE that carnage! (pun intended).

The upcoming Spy Hunter looks.... O-K. But I'll hold off on buying it 'til I read some reviews.

And don't forget that Ambrosia is working on a driving game right now. (www.ambrosiasw.com)

Is there ANY decent driving game out for OS X right now?

5. 5300cs thread starter macrumors 68000

5300cs

There was the F1 game, but I think everyone said it sucked.
    Were there even any good racing games for OS 9 ? ?

6. mangoman macrumors 6502a

mangoman

Well, depends on what you consider racing. I just like driving games, so I bought Driver and Carmageddon 1 and Carmageddon 2. Not sure if there were other racing-specific games. Sorry to not be much help on this one!

-mm

7. Mac til death macrumors regular

Re: Ahhh, Driving Games...

www.racer.nl

Racer is fun. It's lacking, but it has a lot of potential. It's free too, so try it out.

8. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Re: Ahhh, Driving Games...

CARMAGEDDON 2..... ahhhhh, you hit a sweet spot here.
    I don't really like the singleplayer, but the multiplayer is oh so fun! Mine ****ting, opponent repulsificator.... all goodies.
    It's the combo of racing and shooting which makes the game so unique.... Messing up your colleagues or friends so they will not finish is most fun. :)

9. mangoman macrumors 6502a

mangoman

The sad thing (relatively speaking, of course) is that I've not been able to get Carmageddon 2 to work in OS 9.2.2. No idea what's goin' on, either. Looked for patches for a few hours one day, but it seems this game has been nearly forgotten.

You know of or have any patches/bug fixes, etc. for "Carmageddon 2: Carpocalypse Now"?

Thanks!

10. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Mine is working fine.
    I'll send you a private message.....

11. Briguymaine macrumors newbie

4x4 evolution, the offroad racing game is pretty cool. runs well on my 533 dual under osx. you can dl additional courses too.