Driver's Pet Peeve Poll

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by xsedrinam, May 10, 2006.

Which driver annoys you the most?

1. Drivers who drive slow in the fast lane

38 vote(s)
  2. Drivers who speed up to make it through yellow light

0 vote(s)
  3. Drivers who leave their directional signal on

4 vote(s)
  4. Drivers who tailgate

34 vote(s)
  5. Drivers who abruptly change lanes

11 vote(s)
  6. Drivers who take on their cell phone

18 vote(s)
  7. Drivers who speed and "blow your doors off"

4 vote(s)
  1. xsedrinam macrumors 601

Oct 21, 2004
    Which of the following drivers annoy you most?
    1. Drivers who drive slow in the fast lane
    2. Drivers who speed up to make it through a yellow light
    3. Drivers who leave their directional signal on
    4. Drivers who tailgate
    5. Drivers who abruptly and often change lanes
    6. Drivers who talk on their cell phone
    7. Drivers who speed and "blow your doors off"
  2. kretzy macrumors 604

Sep 11, 2004
    Canberra, Australia
    I think tailgaters are the absolute worst. It drives me mad if someone is doing it while I'm driving. It's just so dangerous and senseless.
  3. yellow Moderator emeritus

Oct 21, 2003
    Portland, OR
    Definitely #1.

And to it I'll add.. people who just drive in the left lane for no apparent reason and see no reason to move over to the empty right lane, forcing me to pass on the right. Dungmonkeys!
  4. mactastic macrumors 68040

Apr 24, 2003
    1 and 7. Included in #1 are cell phone yackers who are oblivious to the fact that they have slowed to 55 in the fast lane and have accumulated a dozen cars behind them.
  5. iGary Guest

May 26, 2004
    Randy's House
    I hate people who drive at high rates of speed all the while weaving in and out of traffic within inches of me (and others).

Teenagers are supposed to ****ing drive like this, not "adults."

People that tailgate very agressively in the left lane when I am obviously making an attempt to get out of the way (hey, 80 isn't fast enough)?

Basically, aggressive drivers piss me the hell off.
  6. MultiM macrumors 6502

May 9, 2006
    TO. I've moved!
    To me the worst are the ones who NEVER signal - lane changes, turns etc. RAMMING SPEED!!
  7. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Nov 17, 2003

Although people in a big rush, weaving in between lanes, cutting others off, etc, make me really mad. Are you really that important that you get to act like a jackass while everyone else drives responsibly?

edit: iGary beat me to it.
  8. puckhead193 macrumors G3

May 25, 2004
    *all of the above. I get very pissed off when driving:D
  9. emw macrumors G4

Aug 2, 2004
    #1-#7. I'll also add people who eat or read in their car, people who cut me off, people who try to merge at the last minute in construction zones, people who brake at yellow lights, people who don't brake at red lights, people who don't turn right on red where allowed, people who don't turn left on red where allowed, people who in any way hinder my ability to get where I'm going as efficiently as possible, people who drive faster than I do, people who drive more slowly than I do, people who do their makeup in the car, people who sing in the car, people who...

Ah hell, anyone with the gall to be on the road when I'm trying to get somewhere.

Edit: Since it's now an official poll, I selected #1 as my top peeve. Although I'm not sure what "take on their cell phones" means. I've had to take out my cell phone before, but I think that's different.
  10. floriflee macrumors 68030

Dec 21, 2004
    It's a toss-up for me. I hate people who are on their cell phone and then decide to abruptly change into my lane while almost running me off the road in the process because they weren't paying attention. I dislike tailgaters because they scare the heck out of me when I think about having to make a fast stop. And I hate slow drivers in the fast lane who are too lazy or inattentive to move over, thus making everyone behind them change lanes.

You also forgot to include those drivers that stop to make a right turn into a lane that just started at that right turn....
    EDIT: I guess it is referred to as the "zipper" idea. :D
  11. mpw Guest

Jun 18, 2004
    I've voted number 1 from the list but I just get pissed-off with people who are generally inconsiderate in any way, including parking.

My absolute pet hate is people who spend a fortune on expensive top-of-the-line sportscars, especially soft-tops, and then drive, hood-up, on beautiful sunny days at a snails pace and treat theirs sportscars like delicate jewellery.
  12. jayb2000 macrumors 6502a

Apr 18, 2003
    RI -> CA -> ME
    Road Rage is caused by all those OTHER stupid people on the road, not me! :p

I voted the left lane, because it means
    1) they are not paying attention
    2) people behind will pass on the right (which is not safe)
    3) it blocks Emergency Services from getting through quickly
    4) it just annoys the hell out of me :mad:
  13. iBlue macrumors Core

Mar 17, 2005
    London, England
    1. Those who drive slow in the fast lane. (but mostly this just bugs me when they are matching speed with someone else beside them so NO ONE can get by their dumb asses.)

Brake-tappers bug me. Those people who are too dumb to just let off their accelerator pedal to slow down a bit; so they speed up real fast and hit their brakes real fast. I don't know how they stand it, that sort of un-smooth driving is so annoying.

I am a fairly tolerant driver, I learned to drive in Los Angeles traffic, so nothing surprises me. I am fine with being cut off, tailgated, no turn signals, etc etc... just do it and get it over with and don't interrupt the flow of traffic to do it.

I can't stand passive-aggressive driving (god, make a decision folks) and people with no concept of others; that is what usually ticks me off, first and foremost.

I'm probably considered fairly aggressive but I don't inconvenience others by it; I am decisive and consistent with my actions. I wish even half of the other drivers out there would take a page from that book. How do these people get licenses?

[phew, got that off my chest]
  14. emw macrumors G4

Aug 2, 2004
    Oh, I forgot another one - people who get over to pass a car, then proceed to take roughly 47 miles to get around them.

A corollary to that is people who drive slowly until you go to get around them, and then they suddenly remember where the gas pedal is.
  15. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

Oct 24, 2002
    The West Loop
    I'd have to say my #1: "Impatient person, with no vision of the road"

This is the guy that combines tailgating with lots of lane changes, but doesn't get ahead really well. This guy has the "oo! Open lane!" tunnel-vision, but since he's focused on the bumper ahead of him, and not the fact that the lane is slower, or the fast guy ahead is about to run into slowness, he's forced to do it again and again.

Getting madder...

...and madder...

...and MADDER...

Toss in a phone an we've got "accident waiting to happen"

Oh, then there's the "k-rail guy". This is the guy in the fast lane. But when that row of k-rails (those temporary concrete barriers) show up on the yellow line, a foot to his side, freaks out and either slows way down or crowds the outside lane screwing up traffic.
  16. yellow Moderator emeritus

Oct 21, 2003
    Portland, OR
    I love all you people who voted #1. You know.. platonic love.
  17. xsedrinam thread starter macrumors 601

Oct 21, 2004
    Ya, that's a biggie with me, too. Also truckers (18 wheelers who do that). But I don't know if I can get back to edit the poll?
  18. Black&Tan macrumors 6502a

Mar 4, 2004
    Lots of driving pet peaves. Last year, it became state law that only hands free cell phone use was permitted in vehicles. For a month or two, everybody obeyed the new law. Now, 20% of the drivers I see on the road are busy chatting on their phones. And ignoring the road. I love it when I see a tractor trailer, maneuvering through crowded city streets, and attempting to navigate a tight turn, is busy talking on a cell phone with one hand. Aargh!!

How about those who are busy reading while driving? Or someone eating a bowl of cereal!

My biggest gripe iscurrently a left hand merge lane on the highway, before a highway overpass, in which people are constantly trying to cut others off before crashing into the bridge/barriers.
  19. emw macrumors G4

Aug 2, 2004
    Sure it is.

It's interesting we all hate people who drive slowly in our lane, but also hate tailgaters (who are probably thinking "who's this ass driving so slow in my lane?").

You should be able to edit your post and adjust the poll. I don't know if it will subsequently invalidate current results.
  20. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

Aug 20, 2005
    Thank you Jah...I'm so Blessed
    Hate that tailgating crap......hate when people clip me trying to get through a tight spot...stupids!

21. nbs2 macrumors 68030

Mar 31, 2004
    A geographical oddity

I had to vote for the abrupt lane changers. Most of the others are inconvenient and annoying, but this is the only one that leads to me thinking "well...that was close." That being said, when the person does it on accident, it is pretty obvious and can be written off. When they are being aggressive, it is bothersome. When it is accompanied by one of the other problems listed in the poll, that's when it becomes just too dangerous

As a side note, I thought that more accidents were caused by radio changing than cell phone use, even factoring radios being more prevelant than cell phones.
  22. Black&Tan macrumors 6502a

Mar 4, 2004
    How about the drivers who are stopped at a traffic light, in a left or right turn lane ONLY, who decide to use this lane to cut in front of everybody going straight?
  23. emw macrumors G4

Aug 2, 2004
    Like this (poor drawing)

Attached Files:

24. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Tail gating is the worst, especially on a one way road. I drive an '88 Volvo, I'm 19 and I don't want tickets. No I am not going to speed up for you, I like my license thank you very much. I have seen plenty of bad teenage drivers, but the worst are women in big SUV's who think they can push me and my Volvo around. More 1 finger salutes to you!
  25. wordmunger macrumors 603

Sep 3, 2003
    North Carolina
    I picked cell phones, because those drivers are most likely to display ALL of the other behaviors.

I also hate a**holes who pass everyone on the right when the whole freeway is jammed up, then act all pissed when no one will let them back into the thru lanes. And I hate the "nice" people who let the a**holes in, rewarding their bad behavior.