Driving Directions??

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by todd2000, Apr 20, 2006.

1. todd2000 macrumors 68000

I don't know if such a page exists, but does anyone know of a site that I can enter the route that I WANT to go, and it will tell me how many miles it is and about how long it will take? Like mapquest but allow me to pick the exact highways I wan't to take? any ideas?

2. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

If you make your own route or choose your own route.... Why would you need some kind of site or software to do it? Do you want to see mutiple choices available? If so I don't know a site that does that.

3. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

I understand what your looking for. I would like to compare routes sometimes. Some maps are like, 'why do you want me to go this way?' When you've done it 100 times! Wonder if there's some software from Rand McNally or someone?

4. todd2000 thread starter macrumors 68000

like iSaint said, for example I just drove from VA to NJ last weekend, and there are tons of different routes I could take looking at the map, it would be handy if there was some way to figure out how long, and how many miles each one would be.

5. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

This is designed to be used for running route planning, but it might work for what you're looking for. I'm not sure if there is some kind of limit or not, but it will allow you to plot points on the map and it will tell you the distance you ran...or in your case, drove.

http://www.usatf.org/routes/map/

6. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Yeah, that's similar to the Google Pedometer I've used before, but it won't give you travel times for driving...an integral part of what the OP is looking for.

7. todd2000 thread starter macrumors 68000

Yeah I have used one similar to that B4 too. It's cool but not quite what Im looking for. There probably isn't anything out there like what I want.

8. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

A temporary solution might be to add together smaller routes. Going from point A to point Z might suggest a particular route but if you made a bunch of short trips and then added the total together for the route you want to go that might work...

For instance you went from VA to NJ... but let's say you wanted to make a quick stop through... uhhh... Florida. Mapquest won't tell you to go through Florida of course... but you could make VA to FL and then FL to NJ and add them together. Of course those are extremes but you get the idea... maybe.

9. nw43 macrumors regular

With www.viamichelin.com you can't choose which road you want to take but can choose up to 3 stopovers on a journey which should do what you want.