Driving Mass. To Florida. Any Must-Sees?

Discussion in 'Community' started by stridey, Jun 25, 2005.

1. stridey macrumors 65816

stridey

Hi all,
    My girlfriend and I are taking a road trip from Massachusetts down to the keys and back up during July. We'll be travelling primarily along the coast, but wouldn't mind moving away from it a bit (probably no more than 75 miles). Any locations that we have to hit?

2. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

I think I would be getting to the Keys as fast as I could!

Plenty of beautiful land, Appalachian Mountains throughout North Carolina.

Okefenokee Swamp in Georgia. www.okefenokee.com

Daytona Motorspeedway in Daytona FL

the Jack Daniels Distillery in Tennessee, but that's probably off the beaten path a bit

I'm sure there will be more good suggestions from your MR peers.

3. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Go over to the Eastern Shore of Maryland, stay in a bed and breakfast in St. Michael's for the night and then head south and go over the Chesapeake Bay Bridge, very cool stuff there and a nice departure from I-95.

Or stop in at D.C. - lots of stuff there....

Oh, and South Of The Border right off of 95 in South Carolina - you'll see signs continually for 10s of miles telling you how far it is :D

D

4. stridey thread starter macrumors 65816

stridey

I did a quick google, and it seems to be some sort of restaurant/camping extravaganza. Is that what it is?

Thanks both of you for your suggestions! :D

5. Black&Tan macrumors 6502a

Black&Tan

If its not too far off track, check out the Blue Ridge Parkway through Virginia and North Carolina.

http://www.nps.gov/blri/

6. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

You can stop by the smallest of the National Parks! :D And Slater Mill, home of the Industrial Revolution in the U.S., and the building that provided the spark for the craptastic working conditions of the Gilded Age.

7. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

how are your traveling. i mean are you taking the Cross sound ferry from New London CT to Orient Pt. Long Island? That might be a cool thing to do...their are plenty of winerys along the way...
    https://www.longislandferry.com/Default.asp

8. stridey thread starter macrumors 65816

stridey

As an interesting point of fact, I'm actually in New London as we speak (Connecticut College). And that might, indeed, be a cool thing to do.

9. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I would recommend Cape Canaveral that is if you are interested in Space travel. You could end up being there when the space shuttle launches. Either way they have a lot to see.

10. StarbucksSam macrumors 65816

StarbucksSam

If you want to skip the big hair on the New Jersey Turnpike then you ought to go through Philadelphia and stop at the Melrose Diner. It's cheap and it's some of the best food in Philadelphia. The apple pie in the sauce is to DIE for.

11. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

You haven't said how long you are planning for the trip.

If time is not a concern, you could go down the Jersey coast hitting Asbury Park (Springstein fame) and hit Six Flags near there. Then on to Cape May and the Cape May/Lewes ferry to Lewes DE and the Maryland and Delaware shore towns. Then onward to the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel as mentioned. You would then be on target to some great coastal towns like Nags Head, Charleston, Savannah, Jacksonville, Daytona Beach, Miami (and South Beach of course), then on to the Keys. Little bit of everything with that route. History and fun places, and great sights.

12. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

second on all these suggestions. if you have the time/inclination to spend money on a nice dinner in nj, pm me and i can give you the names of some seriously good places in cape may (my family has spent vacations there for the last 20+ years)

13. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Forgot that they might be able to finance the trip with a stop in Atlantic City. :D

14. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

LOL!

Well, it is on the way....

15. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I'll third that one....Cape May is a nice victorianesque town - and then hop on the ferry to Lewis, hit Rehobeth and Dewey Beach - you should stop in at the Starboard for lunch if you can - it will be way too packed at night...but keep driving through Ocean City unless you really like miniature golf :D

South of the Border is a bit of a joke, but its an icon of sorts on I-95....worth looking at if you get the chance.

D

16. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Where else are you going to get your Mexican jumping beans? :D

17. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Ha!

http://www.roadsideamerica.com/attract/SCDILsob.html

and I forgot Pedro is the mascot....Napoleon Dynamite references aside, its still pretty damn funny...

D

18. OCOTILLO macrumors regular

When you go South to I-80, turn right, and you can avoid going to Fla. and returning to Mass. That way you can see the best parts of the U.S. and not have to associate with Ted Kennedy anymore.

19. stridey thread starter macrumors 65816

stridey

Thanks for all the great suggestions guys, it looks like the trip's going to be great! I'll be sure to update y'all when we get back (we're doing July 4 - 23). Feel free to keep 'em coming! :D

20. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

Isn't there like the Coca Cola factory in Atlanta? Thats supposed to be awesome...

Disney World in Florida, if you want...

Duck Tours (or Ride The Ducks) are in every original Colony (the original 13 that are now U.S. states...) and are kind of cool, if you like that.

21. saabmp3 macrumors 6502a

I suggest going to Logan...it's a great sight to see. It'll save you lots of time as well.

BEN

22. stridey thread starter macrumors 65816

stridey

Well, the whole point is to *not* save time. The entire purpose of the thing is to waste time enjoyably.

"It is no coincidence that in no known language does the phrase 'As pretty as an
    Airport' appear." -DNA

23. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I think if you have the time, the drive is worth it. You should try the coast from NJ to VA if you can and avoid i-95 as much as possible there - its not scenic, lots of traffic and generally a pain.

And if you're coming back you can hit places you missed on the way down. Maybe aviod DC on the way down and hit it on the way back.

D

24. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

I'll second all the posters suggesting both St. Michael's and Cape May. We've been to Cape May a few times in the past five years, the ferry is relaxing and the Cape has some great Victorian architecture.
    We went to St. Michael's in May for the first time. Beautiful, calm, scenic, and great seafood.
    Haven't been to Ocean City, Maryland since I was 18, and don't miss it. Too noisy and crowded, and not worth the trouble (even though I kinda like that mini golf) :p .

what about swinging down along The Outer Banks in N.C.?

25. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

That's a pretty cool place as well - but I've never been all the way, only going about half. And doesn't it dead end? For some reason I didn't think you could go all along the barrier islands....

D