DRM and Stuff

Discussion in 'iPod' started by Kartel, Sep 28, 2006.

1. Kartel macrumors newbie

Say I bought a movie or tv show for my fiance. Maybe it supposed to be a surprise or something. But the point is I bought it with my account and the file's drm has my name in it. Is it possible to take this file and transfer the ownership/rights to her account so she can have control over it (authorizing computers and such)?

I'm still afraid to buy anything through iTunes because I really really really don't like drm. I value my freedom and that includes the freedom to do what I want with what I payed for. If I feel my purchase restricts me from reasonable actions, I consider myself ripped off. And if that's the case, I might as well just stick with torrents that are financially free, and more importantly, drm-free.

So can someone explain Apple's drm to me? What can I do and what are my restrictions? If you download content from the store, but only have it on one computer with no backups, and your hdd dies, are you allowed to re-download the files for free or do you have to buy them all over again? If technology improves and they come out with a better/higher-def version of what you already have (such as the new 640x480 introduced with itunes7. maybe 720p or something is next), can you upgrade or do you have to buy it all over again at full price?

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Check out the terms of service (USA) for more than you could ever possibly want to know about the iTunes Store. You can authorise a track to play with more than one machine so technically speaking, you should be fine just giving your song to your fiancé. :)

3. Kartel thread starter macrumors newbie

Well alrighty then. I got some of my questions answered in there and I definitely do not like the answers (though I pretty much expected that). As much as I'd like to support Apple and their digital store, I don't see myself ever getting into this, not with things as they are. The drm, pricing, and other policies make it ..just not a good deal (to put it nicely). It has too many drawbacks (especially with video) and offers zero benefits over other methods. I honestly can't understand why people give them so much business, but to each his own I guess.

Thanks for the link though.

4. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I bought a video album a while ago, in the old 320x240 resolution. They expect me to pay full price for a 640x480 version now. I'm starting to get really frustrated with DRM, and I don't actually see myself using iTunes again in the near future.