DRM free but not hassle free :(

Discussion in 'iPod' started by joelovesapple, May 31, 2007.

1. macrumors 6502a

joelovesapple

I have 14 downloads which are DRM free but none of them will download, or if they do, they get REALLY close to finish but just give up, but no error number. They just don't budge. Any ideas why this could be? Surely their server isn't still busy is it?

I have a crap broadband connection but this is no excuse. I paid for these but am having no end of trouble. For what I paid for this, I could have spent on something *material*.

Thanks for listenening anyway. I am tired because I didnt get to bed until 3AM GMT as I was overlooking my downloads to check for error messages:rolleyes: .

2. macrumors Core

mine kept getting errors too. its probably because of everyone upgrading. while EMI's stuff is big, i'd imagine that a lot of people are upgrading very much the same stuff causing the lag. i just left all of mine paused and will try again this weekend. it wasn't worth the hassle. yeah i want the tracks, but its not like i don't have a copy of it already.

if anything this is good news for the other labels, shows that there is a lot of interest in it. :p

3. Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

Out of my 294 tracks I upgraded I have 5 that are stuck... not a huge deal (especially if they finish sometime this week) but still a minor annoyance.

4. macrumors G4

Mine kept getting stuck on particular tracks. Re-starting iTunes reset the list so that different tracks were attempted, and they're now all safely in my library. I think it's because everybody is hammering the store so badly. By Saturday it'll be back to normal.

5. macrumors regular

I guess this is still one good thing about buying CDs.

Not that I choose to though...this is the only option I have.

6. macrumors 68040

synth3tik

It's all about the volume. On any day I may download say 10-15 songs. Right now I am downloading 356 (I could not believe I had that many songs that would go DRM free) Seeing from what others have posted I feel bad for those Xserves and those IT guys. The Servers are trying to keep up with the demand and the IT guys are busy trying to keep the servers running. I have a few that errored out. I will just try again later tonight when the traffic dies down.

7. macrumors 6502

Kaiser Phoenix

Yeah i get this but what i did was to just keep pressing that retry or refresh button to try again. 'Eventually' it will download. Worked for me anyway...:apple:

8. macrumors 6502

rushmere

I've got 68 songs to upgrade.

I've left iTunes running for over 18 hours so far, and it's only successfully downloaded the first 14.

I guess it'll finish eventually!

9. Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

If some are hanging, pause them so it will go to the next ones. Some servers are more bogged down than others and not all the servers hold all the songs. So if song A doesn't download, songs B-Z might.

I'm down to 2 songs not downloading at the moment...

10. thread starter macrumors 6502a

joelovesapple

I am down to 10 from 139 so I'll try again later. Off to have dinner now though!:p :apple:

11. macrumors 68040

synth3tik

I just stopped mine. I'll just grab them later. It's not like I don't have the songs.

12. macrumors 6502

BulkHedd

I'm having a problem I haven't seen anyone mention. Not all of my songs are showing up to be upgraded. I'm talking about songs that now have iTunes+ versions available (like the Fatboy Slim Greatest Hits album).

13. macrumors 65816

RBMaraman

I can't even access the upgrades.

Whenever I click "Buy" on the upgrades page, a box pops-up saying "This item is no longer available."

Anyone else having this issue?

14. macrumors 6502

Yep, also having the 'contents have changed' or whatnot error when trying to upgrade. And am I crazy, or can you not upgrade individual tracks / albums, just the whole collection?

15. macrumors 65816

WillJS

I had 6 upgradeable. :(

16. macrumors 6502

Me too

fortunatly its only 2 though, and the tracks still work with normal versions..

17. macrumors 601

HiRez

I have 160 purchased songs and according to the iTMS Store page not a single one of them is upgradable? How is that possible? Isn't there some way to tell by looking at the songs in your Library view?

18. macrumors 6502a

polishmacuser

i wish you can upgrade individiually :(

19. macrumors newbie

Does iTunes still keep track of the number of times songs are burned in a playlist?

Edit: This question is in regards to 128kb songs ($0.99).

20. macrumors 6502a

Sorry for a totally stupid question, but how do we actually upgrade our old DRM purchases to the higher quality DRM-free purchases?

I have upgraded iTunes, but am having a few problems accessing the store - either takes forever or just doesn't load.

21. macrumors newbie

1) After upgrading iTunes, enable iTunes Plus: View Account > Manage iTunes Plus > Click Checkbox

2) On your iTunes Store Home page, click iTunes Plus under Quick Links. From there, you will see an "Update My Library" feature.

22. macrumors G4

Go to the Store's main page and look for the link that says iTunes Plus. If you have upgradable songs, it will tell you how many can be upgraded now in there.

23. macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the replies :) Now I've just got to wait for the server loads to die down to an extent where I can actually get onto the iTunes Store homepage!

24. macrumors G4

I can get into the main page fine. It's only when I attempt to preview songs that there's any issues with the connection. Are you on broadband or dial-up?

25. macrumors 6502a

I'm on 10Mbit up/down university LAN connection. iTunes Store usually works fine, and if I type something into the search box, I can get to the search page and listen to the preview songs, so I don't think it's a connection issue at my end.