DRM this, Sony!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by EricBrian, Nov 11, 2005.

1. EricBrian macrumors 6502a

EricBrian

2. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

The DRM can be circumvented by prefixing the name of any CD copier with $sys$ and that will bypass Sony's DRM.

3. EricBrian thread starter macrumors 6502a

EricBrian

And ATO Records suggests the use of Apple computers! :)

Link

4. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I'm now happy that, for numerous reasons (mainly coincidence), I haven't purchased a Sony item for years. This is clearly a ridiculous overstepping of bounds.

5. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Whale oil beef hooked!!!

I haven't bought a CD in a while but I'm definitely giving SonyBMG over here in Aus the big middle finger. No iTunes? no music from you, massively intrusive DRM? no products or anything from you. It's a shame cause they represent a lot of music I would buy from iTunes if given the chance but now, I'm not so sure.

6. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

You should probably buy Sony music through iTunes, but only through iTunes. That way *maybe* they will see that people won't buy copy protected CDs but will buy something with a reasonable DRM. Of course I could be being way to optimistic here that Sony would pick up on something like that.

7. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

8. wildflower macrumors newbie

9. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

So everybody, go to Spotlight and search for PhoenixNub1.kext and PhoenixNub12.kext. If it's on your computer, delete it.

I won't buy another Sony music CD or Sony product for the foreseeable future.