Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

guruuno

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 6, 2011
Seems like even though I enabled a share in the Drobo dashboard for TimeMachine, it won't show up in TM for use.
DataRobotics gave me a new (1.8.3) dashboard, still not visable for use.
Anyone know if Time Machine works with Drobo on Lion?

mdgm

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2010
Don't have a Drobo, but I'd say probably not. The requirements for Time Machine in Snow Leopard aren't as strict as they are in Lion.

tioguerra

macrumors newbie
May 25, 2011
Seems like even though I enabled a share in the Drobo dashboard for TimeMachine, it won't show up in TM for use.
DataRobotics gave me a new (1.8.3) dashboard, still not visable for use.
Anyone know if Time Machine works with Drobo on Lion?

I've just installed Lion and I am facing the same problem. I have a Drobo FS and Drobo Dashboard 1.8.4 installed.

mbaudis

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2011
DroboFS + time machine + Lion not working

FS doesn't seem work as time machine target under now (Drobo Dashboard 2.0). At least, existing time machine enabled shares do not show up in the TM panel anymore. A volume on a Drobo connected to a remote MacPro is displayed.

Last edited:

madh

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2007
Drobo FS + Time Machine ng

I also have this problem. My Macbook Pro was already setup to backup to Drobo FS. I upgraded to Lion, now when I try to initiate the backup, I get an error: Cannot backup, AFP requirements not met. Or something close to that.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
From everything I have heard about Drobo. Sell it and run the other way.

madh

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2007
Drobo fs + time machine ng?

Wanted to include a screenshot of the error:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2011-06-12 at 12.15.53 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2011-06-12 at 12.15.53 AM.png
    175.8 KB · Views: 146

daemon73

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2011
According to Data robotics technical support (here) we have to wait for an (hopefully fast) firmware update to resolve this issue. Anyhow they seem to acknowledge the problem.

Meanwhile crashplan is your friend :)

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Lion breaks AFP for NAS devices. It affects Qnap, and Synology as well.

You need to wait for the vendors to update their drivers.

daemon73

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2011
And just in case someone, like me, couldn't update because drobo dashboard wasn't able to auto-update (source here search "firmware update"):

1. Go to http://www.drobo.com/support/updates and download the appropriate firmware file (for Windows) or Disk Image file (for the Macintosh), saving it to a folder that is not located on your Drobo device. Please ensure that you have read and write privileges to this folder.

2. In Windows, extract the zipped firmware file and save it to a folder not located on your Drobo device.

The firmware file ends in the file extension of .tdz (e.g., 1.0.2.tdz). The filename may be different depending on the version of firmware you are installing.

3. On a Macintosh, double-click the Disk Image file to mount it on your Macintosh.

4. Launch Drobo Dashboard and log in to the Drobo device whose firmware you would like to update.

5. On the Capacity and Tools page for the Drobo device, click on the Tools drop-down list.

6. Hold down the Control key on your keyboard and at the same time click the Check for Updates icon.

A warning message displays, asking you to complete or stop any data transfers.

7. Ensure that your Drobo device is not actively transferring data (blinking yellow and green), and then click the OK button.
A dialog box appears.

8. Locate the firmware file which you downloaded and extracted, and click the Open button.
The update process takes a few minutes. Afterwards, a message box appears, asking you to restart your Drobo device.

9. Click the Reboot Drobo Now button. Your Drobo device reboots with the new firmware installed.

I did it myself and worked, time machine is now running as it should on Lion 11A511

CaptainRick

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2011
Didn't work for me

I have a Drobo FS that was used to back up my desktop MacPro by network cable and macBook wirelessly. All worked well until upgrade to Lion. Have followed Data Robotics instructions to install new dashboard (v:2.0.3.40648) (Gosh doesn't it take up a lot of screen space!) and replacement firmware for Drobo fs (v.1.2.0(4.28.40667) Same instructions as outlined by daemon73.
It now takes ages (~ 5 mins) for the Drobo to be found on the network, its details are then shown in the dashboard but when I try to connect to select a disc for Time Capsule, the appropriate share is eventual found (another 5 - 10 mins) but then System Prefs just hangs up. Same on both machines, whether both switched on or just one at a time.
Tried the usual power cycling of all the units - same result
The Drobo was wonderful as a backup on Time Machine before this but now don't quite know where to go next!
(Quite a few other things don't work with Lion so have SnapScan doc scanner, Minota Dimage film scanner and a number of other bis of kit marooned - Ugh!)

thetoness

macrumors member
Jan 16, 2008
Same exact issue here

Same exact issue here. Was on the phone with Drobo support for hours after installing the new firmware, they finally gave up and told me to call Apple. I guess we have to be patient until this is worked out, just hope my Mac Pro doesn't crash and I have to restore, then there will be problems.

G-Whizz! Apps

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2010
I have the exact same issue, even on my computers that still run Snow Leopard (after installing the new firmware). I reported it to Drobo Support the first day the firmware came out and after a lot of back and forth (asking for lots of log files), they are escalating the issue to T2, whatever that is.

If you haven't done so, please report this to Drobo via the official channels. The more reports and logs they can get, the more data they'll have to fix it.

I have a Drobo FS that was used to back up my desktop MacPro by network cable and macBook wirelessly. All worked well until upgrade to Lion. Have followed Data Robotics instructions to install new dashboard (v:2.0.3.40648) (Gosh doesn't it take up a lot of screen space!) and replacement firmware for Drobo fs (v.1.2.0(4.28.40667) Same instructions as outlined by daemon73.
It now takes ages (~ 5 mins) for the Drobo to be found on the network, its details are then shown in the dashboard but when I try to connect to select a disc for Time Capsule, the appropriate share is eventual found (another 5 - 10 mins) but then System Prefs just hangs up. Same on both machines, whether both switched on or just one at a time.
Tried the usual power cycling of all the units - same result
The Drobo was wonderful as a backup on Time Machine before this but now don't quite know where to go next!
(Quite a few other things don't work with Lion so have SnapScan doc scanner, Minota Dimage film scanner and a number of other bis of kit marooned - Ugh!)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.