Mobile OSs #DroidRage - did it backfire?

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by ChazUK, Dec 6, 2012.

1. macrumors 603

Feb 3, 2008
    Essex (UK)
    Looks liek Microsoft are on the crusade of trying to belittle their competitors instead of competing. Ballmer did it against the iPhone and it seems the WindowsPhone twitter account is at it again with the second #droidrage account, offering the chance of some kind of recompense in return.

There has been a lot of press coverage saying it's now backfired with #WindowsRage popping up from Twitter and on Google Plus.

I'm not a massive fan of this smear type marketing, especially when they offer up prizes (this being a Windows Phone) for stories like this. The potential for people to flat out lie in the chances of getting a free phone are immense.

Still, I love a negative bit of smear that backfires (like it did with Motorola and Apple's maps).

IMO, it's a fail. Your thoughts? :D

Play nice people. Negative ad campaigns aren't for everyone.
  2. macrumors member

Nov 29, 2012
    Windows trying to call another product out for virus problems is the very definition of irony.
  3. macrumors 68000

Jun 8, 2009
    So it starts ... MS versus Google. <Gets popcorn>
  4. macrumors 6502

Sep 23, 2012
  5. macrumors 6502a

Jun 30, 2010
    Microsoft knows iOS going to be #1 for a long time so they are aiming for the #2 spot (Android).

This is going to be great.
  6. macrumors 6502

May 23, 2011
    iOS number 1? That's news to me. Unless you were being sarcastic, in which case you forgot the /s.
    But just in case you weren't being sarcastic and truly believe iOS is number 1, then let me share this with you.

7. macrumors 6502a

Jun 30, 2010
    Where in my post did I mention market share? Sometimes reading and understanding a post will make one less foolish in their response. :)
  8. DanteMann, Dec 8, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2012

macrumors 6502

May 23, 2011
    Hmmm, so where exactly in your post do you state what you meant by iOS being "number one?" Is there any other stat you could have been talking about? Sorry, but you left it completely open to interpretation, and when someone says Microsoft KNOWS iOS is going to be number 1 for a long time, and Android #2, what else could you have meant besides market share? If you're talking on behalf of Microsoft, as you were, then the only thing they care about is market share. Microsoft isn't some emotional fanboy. Their a corporation that's in the business of selling their product and gaining market share. Hence, my post. So please explain to me where I went wrong with this LOGIC.

The irony. :rolleyes:
  9. macrumors 68010

Jul 23, 2011
    Reading the backfiring responses is pretty funny. Microsoft has some nerve.
  10. macrumors 68040

Feb 25, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    ^^ This! I took him to mean market share as well.
  11. macrumors 6502

Nov 13, 2012
    What is iOS #1 at? The OS is outdated and full of bugs, but it does okay in sales within N Americs and England. Everywhere else in the world, the iPhone barley sells at all. Americans tend to have this impression that the rest of the world must be like the US. Simply not the case.
  12. macrumors 604

Jun 27, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Europeans have a tendency to overgeneralize ;)

Yes, this statement is ironic.
  13. macrumors 604

Jan 8, 2012
    Pretty much everything else is opinion based so aside from market share there is not much else....
  14. macrumors 6502

Nov 13, 2012
    I am not European. But thanks for generalizing.