drop g4, emac, and imacs down $100, drop ipod down $50 at mwsf

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by jefhatfield, Nov 17, 2002.

1. jefhatfield Retired

Jul 9, 2000
    keep things affordable vs pc world

kudos to apple for lowest prices ever on ibooks and tibook!

someday, we need sub $500 mac...there's a huge market there that are at this time buying only pc boxes
  2. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

Jan 14, 2002
    South Dakota, USA
    Especially the K-12 Ed market...

There is a big reason that Macs are becoming harder and harder to find in the classroom is because of price. Right now most schools have gone PC in this area except for a few that are running iBooks and G3 iMacs. As a teacher, I would love to see an iMac G3 800Mhz for $499. The fact is the eMac is overpriced for a classroom desktop, especially when most schools are ordering Celeron PC's for around that magic $500 a unit price point. Budgets are tight in education and taxpayers will not fork over the cash to put an expensive computer in front of a 2nd grader. The Macs are still the best computer for students and teachers, but they need to look at what we really want. All the G3 iMac needs is a better video card and a little more MHz and it is still a decent up-to-date machine. I know a neighboring district that just purchased 20 "snow" iMac G3's for a new lab this fall. I asked the tech coordinator why the did not go with the eMac and he said it would have ran them way over budget for something they really did not need.