Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

smirk

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 18, 2002
Orange County, CA
Hi, in Interface Builder I just dragged a UIImageView from the object library onto the view controller icon at the top of the VC window. IB created a small UIImageView image and placed it just above the view controller. What does this do? As you drag the view controller scene around the storyboard, that Image View now moves with it.

I'm thinking that perhaps it's just a way of grouping UI objects with their view controllers, for those objects that are added programmatically, but Google isn't giving any answers.

Any ideas?

Screen Shot 2015-09-30 at 1.35.42 PM.png

PhoneyDeveloper

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2008
This is a new IB feature that I think is called associated views. You can set an IBOutlet to a view that isn't in the view controller's hierarchy and later addSubview to make it visible. I read about this somewhere but can't seem to find it now.

DannyBres

macrumors 65816
Oct 30, 2007
UK
This is a new IB feature that I think is called associated views. You can set an IBOutlet to a view that isn't in the view controller's hierarchy and later addSubview to make it visible. I read about this somewhere but can't seem to find it now.
Totally didn't know that, thanks! :)

smirk

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 18, 2002
Orange County, CA
I thought it was something along those lines. I can't find anything about that feature in the documentation, but when I find out what it is I'll post back here.

Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.