Drop outs using Airport Express

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Laplace, Oct 25, 2005.

1. Laplace macrumors member

Hello all, I have a internet latency problem via Linksys/Airport.

Heres my setup:
    Powerbook G4 15" latest rev, all updated software
    Airport Express with latest software
    Linksys WRT54G wireless router
    Roommates PC with wireless card installed

Heres the problem:
    I have a cable modem (7Mb down, 1Mb down) hooked up to my Linksys wireless router(when using hte AX instead, I get the same problem, but not as bad) which broadcasts the wireless signal to my Powerbook and my roommates PC. Everything works fine, except that we get very random dropouts of signal every now and then, every minute or 30 seconds or so.

I have tried changing the wireless broadcasting channel, but to no avail. The only thing I can think of is wireless interference, is this a tale-tale sign of wireless interference? If so, is there any way to fix this? I live in an apartment complex, so it is very possible that someone has a 2.4Ghz cordless phone.

I have hooked up the computers via hardline, so I know it is strictly wireless signal based and not ISP or anything else. It is also affecting the PC and the Mac equally, so it isn't OS based or software based.

I'm at a loss, and I firmly believe now after writing this post and realizing to myself that it is probably an interference problem. I guess I just want reassurance

2. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

you have to be more specific in your setup. i cannot troubleshoot if you don't describe how it is connected. i.e. which is connected to the cable modem and which mode each the routers are in and what channels they are on. also are you making both so you connect to either one wirelessly or is the airport express is in client mode. when the cable guy came to install the cable internet which router did he register or did he register a computer?

you also need to get http://macstumbler.com and check which channels the other wifi routers in your area are. 1,6,11 are the channels you want to select, you maybe just fighting of the channel bandwidth.

3. topgunn macrumors 65816

topgunn

I, for one, think its great that drop outs are using Airport Express.

4. louis_sx macrumors regular

and here I thought Apple catered to the smartest among us.

5. Laplace thread starter macrumors member

Ok, sorry for the confusion. I am not using the Linksys and the Airport Express at the same time. I am using one or the other for troubleshooting purposes. I have the cable modem hardline into the router (whether that be the AX or Linksys), and then the router is broadcasting the wireless signal. For troubleshooting, I have also hooked up my mac hardline to the router and everything is fine.

Whether I am using the AX or the Linksys router, I get the same problem, it isn't router specific.

My router settings are as follows:
    WEP 128-bit HEX security
    G-only broadcast
    Channel 1 (ive tried 11 too)

Did I miss anything? Is there any other router settings that you need to know?

6. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

if you are getting drops out both wirelessly that would either tell you have a bad wifi card or you an interference problem. do the macstumbler stuff i stated above and check out what wireless network traffic is in your area. a 2.4 ghz phone would cause the dropout as well, but only when the phone is in use. my guess is that another router on the same channel. i'd also check to see if the problem replicates itself from a far distance and in another room.