Drop the Debt

Discussion in 'Community' started by mrjamin, Apr 8, 2003.

1. uhlawboi80 macrumors 6502

its a nice thought....though not very well thought out. Most countries run "in debt"

america does so much good throughout the whole world...why doesnt someone just forgive the trillions we owe :rolleyes:

its not like we are gonna have CitiCorp calling trying to collect everyones 15K. But at the same time, the debt cant just be "forgivin" someone else takes a hit or assumes the debt. i for one dont think we need the US to be sucking up another .5 trillion in debt.

2. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I thought that Iraq has the 2nd largest oil reserve after Saudia Arabia. If this is true, then with the rebuilding of Iraq after the war that should increase their out put of oil. The part revenue from the increase oil production should go to repaying the debt. Some of the revenue should be use to repay the American taxpayer. Look at the revenues that Saudi Arabia recieves from their oil, no taxes and free medical care for all citizens. The majority should be for the Iraqi people to rebuild after the war.

3. cubist macrumors 68020

Perhaps... but wouldn't the new government of Iraq be expected to repudiate deals made by the previous regime? I know if I were in charge, I would. Maybe I'd pay off my IMF or WB loans, but everyone else would get turned away at the door. And I think they'd expect to; revolutions usually work that way.

4. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

hey, if the government forgives another huge debt from another nation, or some other nation forgives us for a debt, then why don't they forgive all student loans or something?

or at least student loans to schools that are public

i missed completely free college by one year in california and the younger people may not know this, but many schools that are expensive public colleges now were free like high school or elementary school...including books

but free college will never happen again, but when it costs parents money for "fees" to put their kids through k-12 (and i can see this happening one day), then it will really suck

education, especially k-12, seems to get lower and lower on the politician's priority list

and the democrats who have been traditionally pro education don't seem to be guarding this constituent anymore

i don't have kids, but in california these days with the cutbacks from our supposedly liberal governor make it look very bleak

i think in the future college and junior college enrollments will go way down and our country will be the haves and have nots in terms of education

it's already approaching that in terms of net worth and the idea of a person jumping social stratas is more like a pipe dream

i guess no more "log cabin" to "white house" stories anymore:rolleyes:

it will be more like, "which political family will our next president come from?" or "which candidate can raise the most money?"