Dropbox Announces 'Carousel' Photo and Video App, Mailbox for Desktop

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Apr 9, 2014.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Dropbox today announced several new products for its desktop and mobile consumers, including Mailbox for OS X and a new photo and video sharing app called Carousel.

Carousel is a standalone app that is designed to organize a user's entire collection of photos stored via Dropbox, separating them into an event-based timeline that also highlights important moments and supports private messages. Photos automatically backup to Dropbox and sync across all platforms. They can also be shared in batches with and saved to other users' timelines via email or phone number, regardless of whether or not the user has a Dropbox account.

[​IMG]
    According to Dropbox, the app, deemed "one place for all your memories" backs up photos to Dropbox, with storage being tied to the amount of space in a user's Dropbox account.
    While Dropbox already allows automatic camera uploads and image storage, photos are generally dumped into a single folder that doesn't offer many organizational options. Carousel will bring a whole new photo viewing and sharing experience that will make it much easier for users to browse through their image collections. The app will be live later today.

Along with Carousel, Dropbox has also announced plans to bring its popular Mailbox app for iOS to the desktop. There are few details available on the OS X version of the app, but it will likely function similarly to the iOS app, allowing users to "snooze" messages and organize them into lists. There's no prospective launch date on the horizon, but Dropbox is accepting beta signups.

Update 12:55 PM PT: Carousel is now available for download from the App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Dropbox Announces 'Carousel' Photo and Video App, Mailbox for Desktop

2. macrumors 6502

street.cory

Love DropBox, but Google Drive prices are much better. When it comes to cost per Gigabyte vs different ways to view my images - cost per GB wins.

3. macrumors 65816

Frankied22

Does anyone use Mailbox as their iOS email client? How is it?

4. macrumors 6502

I tried it, but if I'm not mistaken, there were no push notifications for the longest time. That might have changed, but at the time that was the deal breaker for me.

5. macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

Photo syncin is great, minus the lack of uploading high quality video, or video at all.

This new app seems like one of those apps you download just to try but doesn't last long on your phone anyhow.

6. macrumors 601

Means not a dang thing if those prices don't get lowered.

7. macrumors 601

8. macrumors regular

Don't forget the price of handing over more of your data to Google.

9. macrumors 6502a

brianvictor7

I prefer to use icloud for photos for now. The free Dropbox space is too precious for other file usage.

10. macrumors 604

BaldiMac

There have been push notifications since release.

11. macrumors 601

:rolleyes:

Yet another one that thinks Apple, Dropbox, and Microsoft don't mine your data.

12. macrumors regular

Or not... Some are worse offenders than others and Google is the worst offender imho.

13. macrumors member

I've been using it for quite some time and it's been great! I like its UI a lot. It also has a solid notification support which wasn't available at first.

14. macrumors member

diego

Can someone explain why is this a front page article? There are tons of noteworthy third party apps out there and these are featured? I could not care less about dropbox, its core product works for me but I would never use any of these things.

15. macrumors 604

BaldiMac

:rolleyes:

Or someone that thinks that one company having more of your data is different than spreading it out over several companies.

16. macrumors 6502

street.cory

What's the price?

I encrypt files that matter before uploading. But 99% of my files on Drive are pictures.

Big whoop.

17. macrumors 6502

Hmm, must have been something else then :eek:

18. macrumors 65816

With 1TB free at flickr why use google or dropbox for storage?

19. macrumors newbie

If only Apple would build this functionality into the native Photos app/iCloud. The Photostream crap is confusing. This is how it should work.

A never-ending camera roll that just offloads to the cloud when you need more room on your phone.

They already do it with Music.

20. macrumors 601

Then I'm going to ask your for proof. I think the illusion you have is that Google makes it well known what they are doing, while others try to hide it or not talk about it. Apple is mining your data people. So is Amazon, so is Dropbox.

21. macrumors 6502

i like owncloud better. your file your server except it doesn't have camera upload feature yet.

22. macrumors 601

And you think this matters? ;)

----------

Yep. Use Dropbox with the Unbound app (on iOS and OS X) and it was a great experience. Now with Carousel, the photo experience is even better.

It's like Dropbox said, let's make Photostream how it should be.

Photostream's limit is ridiculous. Isn't that we Apple offers more storage space? Photos should stay there until my storage runs out or I purchase more. Apple is missing out on a few million in revenue from not doing this (if you take enough photos year after year, you WILL need to buy more storage space eventually).

Is Carousel a Universal app?

23. macrumors 68000

WhackyNinja

-ditches Sparrow-

BYEEEE

this is good news because I loved Mailbox when I had my iPhone and now its on Android AND OS X?

Attached Files:

24. macrumors 604

BaldiMac

That just oversimplifies the problem. Yes, they all mine data. But they don't all have access to the same data. Google is several orders of magnitude above the rest through search and their massive ad network.

It matters to me.

25. macrumors 601

I use Flickr + Flickring app by Pixite. EXCELLENT combo.

I use Google Drive as a 2nd backup for the actual files, since Flickr traps your files within their site when you upload them.