Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Dropbox today released an update for its Mac client, offering a redesigned drop down interface and improved file sharing capabilities.

With version 2.0 of Dropbox, users can share files with one another using a link from the Desktop menu. File sharing notifications are sent out in real time, to the desktop application and the iOS app.

dropbox1.jpg
Introducing a shiny new feature: a new tray popup that combines the old tray menu features with a timeline of the most important sharing events in your Dropbox. For instance, if someone shares a link with you, you can now see it immediately!

Moreover, if someone shares a folder with you, you can now accept or decline the invitation directly from your desktop. Not only are you notified of these events in real time, but you can easily get to them later. Also, files recently edited are made available so you can easily view or share them.
The interface has been updated to facilitate the simplified file sharing process, adding the ability to accept or decline invitations to files and folders via the desktop.

Dropbox 2.0.0 is available immediately and can be downloaded for free from the Dropbox website. Dropbox's iOS app is expected to be updated later today.

Article Link: Dropbox Desktop Client Updated With Improved Notifications and File Sharing

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
Does anyone actually pay for this service? I'm thinking about moving my iPhoto library to this because I see they are doing nice things with the photo portion of their service (thanks to the Snapjoy buyout, a service I've used in the past). I'll actually quite using iPhoto since Apple seemingly has abandoned their desktop software. Obviously 100GB is all I can afford, but I wonder if paying for it is worth it. I currently have 13.5GB of space through various ways to acquire more space. I'm still baffled on why the only offer 2GB's of space, but I guess the average users won't need much more than that.

alq

macrumors member
May 6, 2011
Panamá
I wonder if this update will break or negatively affect my use of Dropbox Encore.

That's my fear as well...

----------

Does anyone actually pay for this service? I'm thinking about moving my iPhoto library to this because I see they are doing nice things with the photo portion of their service (thanks to the Snapjoy buyout, a service I've used in the past). I'll actually quite using iPhoto since Apple seemingly has abandoned their desktop software. Obviously 100GB is all I can afford, but I wonder if paying for it is worth it. I currently have 13.5GB of space through various ways to acquire more space. I'm still baffled on why the only offer 2GB's of space, but I guess the average users won't need much more than that.

I'm paying for 100GB which has been upgraded for free to 200GB a while ago, which is brilliant.
I am syncing my photos, and all of my music work to it and it saved my (musical) life once already.

davidec

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2008
I so hope I can share a file direct from my desktop without having to go the website, click share link and then copy link to clipboard and paste it in an email.....

mainstreetmark

macrumors 68020
May 7, 2003
Saint Augustine, FL
The new menu app seems to be an add for Dropbox, plus a giggling "Dropbox Folder" item. I wonder where the "percent used" info is.

(maybe i have to change files to get anything interesting to happen)

kirky29

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2009
Lincolnshire, England

I pay for 100GB and got 50GB free with my old Galaxy SIII, more than enough for now and to be fair, I don't think I've ever had one issue with it.

I would maybe change to Google Drive one day, but upload and internet speeds around my area is terrible....it would probably literally take years to upload what I've got in dropbox now.

The new menu app seems to be an add for Dropbox, plus a giggling "Dropbox Folder" item. I wonder where the "percent used" info is.

The percentage info pops out in the settings icon at the bottom. :)

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
Ho hum, fairly minor update and I hate how there's no way to force an update from the app (Dropbox rolls out update very slowly, sometimes taking about a month).

At the very least, I would like to be able to set any folder as Dropbox folder.

James_C

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2002
Bristol, UK

If you click the cog wheel in the bottom right corner it tells you how much space you have and used %.

kirky29

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2009
Lincolnshire, England
Ho hum, fairly minor update and I hate how there's no way to force an update from the app (Dropbox rolls out update very slowly, sometimes taking about a month).

At the very least, I would like to be able to set any folder as Dropbox folder.

If you just download it from the link in the article and then open the image, you just double click and it updates, no dragging to replace, you don't even have to quit the app.

I know what you mean though, there should be an 'check for updates' button in settings :)

somethingelsefl

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2008
Tampa, FL
I like Dropbox...but I wish they would just take the leap and start to distribute through the Mac App store. Say what you want about the Mac App store, but it has definitely made updates easier.

Take Evernote for example. Their service has only improved once they entered the App Store...and updates are just that much easier.

somethingelsefl

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2008
Tampa, FL

Click the menu bar icon, then click the gear in the lower right. Dropbox seems to be burying the 'percent used' information both on their clients and web interface. I wonder why.

QuiteSure

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2002
White Space Conflicts?

I use Dropbox with Chronosync and get the occasional white space conflict when I sync. Will this update solve that problem pretty please?:eek:

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
I pay for 100GB and got 50GB free with my old Galaxy SIII, more than enough for now and to be fair, I don't think I've ever had one issue with it.

I would maybe change to Google Drive one day, but upload and internet speeds around my area is terrible....it would probably literally take years to upload what I've got in dropbox now.

I suppose that's how they hook you. Once you've got your data in the cloud, you're not going to want to upload all that stuff again. Clever.

BHP41

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2010
United States of America
Dropbox is great for personal stuff but I ditched it a few months ago for Box. Box is a much better client for business.

That being said, this is a welcome update. Good stuff.

itickings

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2007
Looks promising.

I'll postpone the update for a while though, letting others find the critical bugs. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.