Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Dropbox today announced a range of new productivity improvements designed to "simplify, unify, and secure" Dropbox workflows.

New to Dropbox's mobile apps, including Dropbox for iOS, is a built-in document scanner that uses an iPhone or iPad's camera to capture photos of whiteboards, notes, receipts, sketches, and more, converting them into documents that can be stored in Dropbox.

Like many iOS-based scanning apps, Dropbox's scanning tool will automatically detect the outline of the item being scanned and it offers editing tools for straightening, adjusting contrast, adding additional pages, and converting to black and white. Dropbox for Business users have additional scanning features at their disposal, including optical character recognition to convert scans into searchable text.

Improved Microsoft Office integration allows iOS users to create a Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, or Excel file by clicking a new plus button, simplifying the process of working on documents while on the go. Camera uploads are also being tweaked and going forward, Dropbox Basic users who want to continue to use the feature will need to install the Dropbox desktop app for management purposes.

On the desktop, there are new options to right click on a file or folder in the Mac Finder to share files from the desktop, and there are options for adding comments to a specific part of a file. Version history keeps multiple versions of a file in case a mistake is made, and there are better options for sharing with a select group of people.

Dropbox for the desktop is available from the Dropbox website at no cost. Dropbox for iOS can be downloaded from the App Store, also for free. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Dropbox for iOS Gains Document Scanner, Other Productivity Improvements

Zirel

Suspended
Jul 24, 2015
Im 100% done with Dropbox, goodbye.

Previously when you "shared" a PDF, you shared a PDF, meaning you could open the PDF in other applications.

Now, it only shares a link to the PDF!

Forcing costumers to use Adobe Acrobat if you want that. Adobe and Dropbox have some kind of deal that allows that. But I use a superior PDF reader, don't want to be locked in by Dropbox!

Well, I moved my documents to iCloud and couldn't be happier, because sharing a PDF, means sharing a PDF. I think Microsoft's OneDrive also does the right thing.

Last edited:

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Does anyone use this crap anymore?

Genuinely just cancelled my Pro subscription today. Oddly timed article! Three main reasons:

1) as soon as you add something, it automatically syncs to all Dropbox devices. Yes, there's selective sync, but it auto syncs new stuff added without any prompting. Annoying as hell.

2) Slow as molasses to download and upload. Three weeks to upload 700GBs worth of videos, from a gigabit Internet connection. It wouldn't upload beyond 3MB/s, through either the browser or application. It seemingly won't download beyond 5MB/s either. Speedtest shows upload/download speeds at 950Mb/s, for goodness' sake. I might as well make my own FTP server if I want to share anything (which is what I'm in the process of doing).

3) Unreliable downloads. I had a load of large (3.5GB+) applications on the cloud, in zip format. 50% of the time, it'll download fully (or seemingly fully) on a clients' machine, but the zip would be corrupted. Won't open. Or missing cabinet files. The file itself is fine. Happens too much to be a coincidence.

Good riddance, I say. Spent way too long wrestling with something that was a hindrance, hoping it would stop being a thorn in my rear. I'd be better off, and it would be quicker, spending £7 per month copying stuff to spare hard drives and couriering them out — which I actually had to do on one occasion.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Does anyone use this crap anymore?
Yes.
[doublepost=1466620803][/doublepost]
Wonder how it compares to scannable. Would be nice to have one less app.
I just tried out the new scanning feature and it works well, but still not as nice as Scanner Pro by Readdle. Scanner Pro has a nice "workflows" feature where you setup several default steps after the scan and it will execute those steps with one tap. For example, I have a workflow setup where with one tap the scan gets saved as a PDF and uploaded to my receipts folder on Dropbox. In the Dropbox app you need to go through three or four screens each time to accomplish the same thing. Nice free add on though for occasional scanning without needing a separate app.

bag99001

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2015
Everyone should look into Sugarsync instead of Dropbox. I can't imagine why people use Dropbox knowing that Sugarsync does everything Dropbox does but also allows selective syncing. No need for double copies - it just syncs any and all folders you specify and you can select which devices very easily. There are very nice apps on all platforms.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Everyone should look into Sugarsync instead of Dropbox. I can't imagine why people use Dropbox knowing that Sugarsync does everything Dropbox does but also allows selective syncing. No need for double copies - it just syncs any and all folders you specify and you can select which devices very easily. There are very nice apps on all platforms.

I'm guessing it has something to do with this. I sync about 1.5GB of documents to DB free and it looks like the cheapest way to do that on Sugarsync would cost me $7.49 per month.

Screen Shot 2016-06-22 at 11.51.07 AM.png

Dropbox does have selective sync, but it does not appear as configurable as Sugarsync.

bag99001

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2015
I'm guessing it has something to do with this. I sync about 1.5GB of documents to DB free and it looks like the cheapest way to do that on Sugarsync would cost me $7.49 per month.

View attachment 637398

Dropbox does have selective sync, but it does not appear as configurable as Sugarsync.

Sure - if you barely use it, you want free. I get it. If you're going to pay, why use a service like dropbox over sugarsync? The only issue I see is the integration of dropbox into more apps due to its popularity. But Sugarsync's options allow you use your existing file folders without any adjustment - it's beautiful for syncing multiple devices and accessing anything wherever you are without having to actively save it to a separate folder. It's like night and day to use it compared with dropbox. I'm thinking it's mostly inertia and lack of awareness of the options that makes dropbox so popular.

AFPoster

macrumors 68000
Jul 14, 2008
Charlotte, NC
I thought this was going to be awesome, but when I took 14 pictures of a few pages from a book to test it out, each picture constantly cut a portion of the article out. Definitely a work in progress.

Fuchal

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2003
Love how you get screwed out of features just because you aren't a business. Coincidentally I cancelled my Dropbox subscription just before these new features were released.

Reactions: luminosity6

artmaltman

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2015

I used Sugarsync for years, precisely for the reason you suggest: far better functionality. But I often found it very frustrating because it uses a lot of battery and was very buggy on the Macintosh. Finally when I tried to cancel they gave me grief and took several months to sort out cancelation. You have to call a special number during a small number of hours (general customer support can't cancel you and you can't use email to cancel and there is no simple online way to cancel!). Once I called during the proper cancelation hours I had to wait on hold a long time. First time they promised to cancel me but kept on billing me. Eventually I had to complain to credit card company and they sorted it all out with Sugarsync. I left with a VERY bad feeling about the company.

Reactions: xoAnna
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.