Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Dropbox for iOS was today updated to version 3.0, adding a complete iOS 7-style redesign. The app features a revamped App Store icon and an overall design that incorporates more white space, a cleaner look, and lighter, less obtrusive navigation bars. Folder and menu icons have also been revamped.

In addition to a new look, the updated version of Dropbox features a streamlined iPad experience plus improved sharing and exporting. It also incorporates AirDrop support, speed improvements, PDF viewing updates, and bug fixes.

dropbox.jpg
What's New in Version 3.0
- Beautiful new design for iOS 7
- Streamlined iPad experience: just tap on your files and photos to toggle fullscreen
- Improved sharing and exporting makes it easier than ever to send files to your favorite apps
- AirDrop support lets you send links and files in a snap
- Seamlessly save videos to your library
- Speed! Faster launch, photo loading, and video playback
- Vanquished our most common crashes
- Fixed bug that caused HTML to render as text
- Oodles of PDF viewing updates
Dropbox can be downloaded from the App Store for free. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Dropbox for iOS Updated With iOS 7 Redesign

KylePowers

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2011
Comparing the iOS 6 version with these screenshots, doesn't look too different (functionality wise, at least), but definitely more inline with iOS 7.

But nevertheless, I love Dropbox. It's so awesome.

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
Nothing's really changed.

yzazupu3.jpg

sy6u7unu.jpg

Well, besides the redesign. I was hoping for some new features (besides airdrop, I have a 4s)

Last edited:

proline

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2012
Excellent use of iOS 7 design patterns. Eliminates the stark edges between the content and the UI along with the clashing blues and blacks and instead provides a nice, clean content-first UI. Glad to see 3rd parties getting on board and not paying to much heed to the vocal few who complain about the new direction (though they also happened to be the ones who were saying how stale iOS 6 was). Haters gotta hate.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
Nice, Pages documents now render correctly (before, they'd always get cut off at the end of each page.)

DomC

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2010
Alright! Another app I can use as a flashlight.
I wish developers would be just a touch more creative in matching the feel of iOS 7 without making their app look like all the other updated ones. Zzzzzz.

proline

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2012
Alright! Another app I can use as a flashlight.
I wish developers would be just a touch more creative in matching the feel of iOS 7 without making their app look like all the other updated ones. Zzzzzz.
I got to admit, I'm really starting to enjoy the iOS 7 hate. The thought of people sitting at home in their basements pulling their hair out, hollering threats about switching to Android, or trying to find ways to reinstall iOS 6 because of a few cosmetic changes makes me laugh. Does that make me a bad person?

DomC

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2010
I personally don't hate iOS 7 at all. In fact like it a lot more than 6. I just don't think every developer has to drink the white Koolaid to make their apps tie into the look.

Vanilla35

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2013
Washington D.C.
At the end of the day, the only real thing I can complain about with iOS7 is how it breaks all barriers and borders from context. As you can see from the image posted above, the different sections are just dismissed and everything is kinda one region that you have to kind of intuit for yourself, even though sometimes it's not intuitive.

This is a pretty big negative for me though. Especially when all apps seem to be going that direction....So far the only iOS7 app design I like (for functionality) is Facebook and Facebook Messenger. All the Google apps are great too

JoeRito

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2012
New England, USA
Everything is white!! God please end this stark white minimalism... Toooooo bright on the eyes. I hope iOS 8 fixes this. Jony Ives, please stick to hardware design, you suck at interface design!

troop231

macrumors 603
Jan 20, 2010
Everything is white!! God please end this stark white minimalism... Toooooo bright on the eyes. I hope iOS 8 fixes this. Jony Ives, please stick to hardware design, you suck at interface design!

This is up to the developers really, iOS 8 has nothing to do with it. It would be trivial to implement a 'night mode' theme :)

proline

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2012
On a side note... I love updating Pages twice in one day. At 226 Mb a pop
Turn on automatic updates and the same app will never update twice in one day.

----------

Turn your brightness down and enjoy both good contrast AND good battery life, something that iOS 7 designs make possible. Ive has designed the most popular iOS ever created, what have you designed?

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
Beautiful how? Looks cheap and outdated. ...by decades.

"Most popular iOS ever designed"

Show your work.

In case you haven't been paying attention, there's an unprecedented amount of controversy over the amount of people incredibly unhappy about getting stuck with the awful aesthetics of this OS.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.