Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Dropbox-Mailbox1-250x263.jpg
Dropbox has announced that it will be shutting down popular email and photo sharing apps Mailbox and Carousel on February 26, 2016 and March 31, 2016 respectively.

Dropbox originally acquired Mailbox in March 2013, and launched Carousel in April 2014. The company says it will be communicating directly with users of both apps in the coming days.

Mailbox users will no longer be able to sign in starting February 26, and Dropbox will disable and delete "Auto-swipe" patterns, return "Snoozed" emails to inboxes and delete all email drafts on that day. Mailbox has posted a FAQ to assist users with the transition.

Carousel timeline photos will remain available in Dropbox, and an export tool will be released early next year to save conversations or shared albums. In the meantime, photos within shared albums can be saved to Dropbox directly from the Carousel app. Carousel has posted a FAQ to help users with the transition.

Dropbox:
The Carousel and Mailbox teams have built products that are loved by many people and their work will continue to have an impact. We'll be taking key features from Carousel back to the place where your photos live--in the Dropbox app. We'll also be using what we've learned from Mailbox to build new ways to communicate and collaborate on Dropbox (you can see early signs of this focus with Paper).
Mailbox:
...As we deepened our focus on collaboration, we realized there's only so much an email app can do to fundamentally fix email. We've come to believe that the best way for us to improve people's productivity going forward is to streamline the workflows that generate so much email in the first place.
Carousel:
When we introduced Carousel in April 2014, we believed a standalone app would be a better way to experience photos. We're proud to have created a photo app that many of you use and love. However, over the past year and a half, we've learned the vast majority of our users prefer the convenience and simplicity of interacting with their photos directly inside of Dropbox.
Dropbox users who earned bonus space for using Mailbox or Carousel will retain that storage.

Article Link: Dropbox Shutting Down Mailbox and Carousel in Early 2016

jgallant1990

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2011
Bournemouth, UK
Agreed with above posters - really annoying that Mailbox is shutting down, fundamentally changed the way I use email.

Since the Mac beta, it's been my default app, although there's been a lot of grief on the forums in recent weeks as the app has got more buggy with each release - so really, this closure doesn't come as a surprise.

FWIW - Spark app on iPhone is a good replacement - more powerful, less minimal. Coming to Mac soon and iPad sooner, have joined their beta program.

agsystems

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2013
I only signed up to get extra storage space :cool:
same here...it is extremely difficult to move people from the default option. Even when I had it installed by instinct I would always open mail.app. Besides I don't know how they were expected to make money on this.

mivara

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2015
Denmark
Sad news! I can't say that it comes a surprise though. The beta version for Mac has been a joke all along and the communication has been non-existent for the last couple of months.

Now I'm on the lookout for an alternative on both iOS and OS X. Darrrrrn.

Reactions: smizzle

Corrode

macrumors 65816
Dec 26, 2008
Calgary, AB
Brutal. Mailbox is my go-to for my gmail account. It's been nice to make sure all my emails are dealt with and has made email much more efficient.

I think this is the first time I've been directly affected by a takeover/shutdown scenario. That and Songza being discontinued in January.

HackerJL

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2009
I used mailbox and loved it, really did, until we moved to exchange, which was forever listed as 'coming soon'. So this isn't a shock to me, it wasn't moving.

iphone7166

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2014
Their service is unrivaled though. They should have listened to Jobs when he said they're a feature and not a product.
Very true. Now they are betting on Dropbox Paper, but it's really hard to stand out among established names like Trello, Evernote, Asana, Slack and many others.

desmond2046

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2015
Columbus, OH, United States
I have been using the mailbox app since the beta version and loved it.
I see this happening... The mailbox app has not been updated at all for months and is not coming to the Apple Watch. In the mean while, the Outlook for iOS is getting better with exchange support, and an awesome Watch app. So I switched to outlook two months ago and got used to it immediately.

Still very sad to see mailbox gone...

sza

macrumors 6502a
Dec 21, 2010
Their target market is individual users not the enterprise. Most of people don't pay for the extra storage.

AlekNovkovski

macrumors newbie
Apr 23, 2015
Whilte this is bad news, there is some good news as well!

Google recently plagiarized and pretty much copied mailbox, creating their own clone called "inbox"... It's very similar.

Reactions: kironin

MacLC

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2013
Their service is unrivaled though. They should have listened to Jobs when he said they're a feature and not a product.

That sentence could make a chapter in an MBA-level textbook. A lot of CEOs don't get the difference when it applies to their own features.

Suspended
Mar 15, 2008
Mass exodus to CloudMagic in 3, 2, 1...

If only they would add email alias support :( It's a beautiful app though.

Their target market is individual users not the enterprise. Most of people don't pay for the extra storage.

Their refusal to add tiers between free 2GB and $10/month of 1TB has always been a bad decision IMO. I would have paid for something in the middle.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.