Dropbox Updates iOS App With New Photos Experience and a "Shiny New Design"

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 14, 2012.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Dropbox has updated its iOS app with a new photo browsing experience, a "shiny new design", and a streamlined way to upload files directly to a particular folder.

[​IMG]
    The new photos experience is the biggest change, however:
    Dropbox for iOS is a free download from the App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Dropbox Updates iOS App With New Photos Experience and a "Shiny New Design"

2. macrumors 603

bushido

love the new UI looks very polished and clean. kinda reminds me of an google designed application

3. macrumors 6502a

Its nice but is it just me or is the top right tick icon a weird design choice to move or delete a file or folder.

4. macrumors regular

Yup

I wish there was a way to download more than one picture to the camera roll at one time.

Select the photos you want > save to camera roll

Hopefully this will come soon

5. macrumors 68000

kockgunner

It's interesting they no longer use the iOS toolbar and tab selector. It has a more Android look now. Is this another sign iOS needs a major revamp?

6. macrumors 601

Razeus

Man I love this app.

Yes, I was hoping for a multiple save to camera roll feature too...sigh.

----------

All these new apps updates are looking gorgeous. Dropbox, Google Maps, Rdio, Gmail, 1Password, Evernote, Youtube, and even Facebook - lol.

2013 were are going to see some beautiful apps. Finally the bar is raising. Now Google Maps just needs change that ridiculous icon.

7. macrumors 603

nfl46

Looks great. This is how I password protect my pictures on my non jailbreak phone...upload them to DropBox, then delete off my phone. :)

8. macrumors 68000

roxxette

looks more like the hotmail outlook with the blue and the check marks etc

9. macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

Dropbox as a service has totally changed the way I use my devices.

10. tardegrade, Dec 14, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2012

macrumors member

tardegrade

Yeah. It's a bit weird. It doesn't indicate "Edit" or Change or whatever to me visually. I'd no idea what it did until I tried it.
    Maybe someone else can explain the UI design decision behind it. Strange.

Apart from that it is a beautifully designed app and a very useful one that has become an essential part of my work.

11. macrumors member

I wish they would do something about not being able to read long file names.

12. Scrumper, Dec 14, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 14, 2012

macrumors member

Scrumper

Me too! I only discovered its benefits recently but I'm loving it.

13. macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Hopefully now you'll actually be able to use the iOS app to rename photos.

14. macrumors 68000

ThunderSkunk

Interesting. An android-like interface and an auto-uploader for photos, but no way to rename files or select folders for offline viewing or see previous versions of files. Weird.

15. macrumors 6502a

It doesn't look like it. I'd like to be able to rename PDFs on my ipad without having to export then reimport.

16. macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Indeed - It's a basic feature that should really be implemented. Maybe I should contact them and suggest it?

17. macrumors 603

Carlanga

I agree, I have been waiting a long time for folder to be offline but alas it seems all online places nowadays care only about your pictures uploads.

18. macrumors regular

No matter what the base design is - designers will always try to stand out, and managers will always try to enforce their corporate identity on all platforms.

Curious that with all the focus on photos, it's still not possible to favorite a complete folder and have your photos with you on the go.

19. macrumors member

Very Windows 8 icon much like the Yahoo! Mail app for iOS.

20. macrumors 65816

just updated, cool so far

21. macrumors 65816

Simplicated

Say what you want, I think the new interface is UGLY. It looks like an Android app with unfathomable icons thrown all over the place.

22. macrumors 68000

roxxette

Do you even use dropbox ? The damm icons are placed the same way.

23. macrumors 65816

Simplicated

So I'm supposed to remember the positions now? What happened to designing intuitive icons? It took me a while to understand why the check mark meant Edit. Nice design there.

24. macrumors 6502a

flameproof

With the Dropbox Android app I can edit TXT files, in iOS I can't. That really sux.

25. macrumors 68000

roxxette

Yeap is a damm shame, what ido is either copy to clipboard and edit in another app or open in....