Dropped Connection with Airport Express and iTunes

Discussion in 'macOS' started by skunk, Nov 8, 2006.

1. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

There are a lot of complaints on the Apple Discussion Forums about this issue (and no solutions): when streaming music over an Airport Express to my powered speakers (same happened with my stereo) I keep getting 1-2 second drop-outs. I am doing a clean install of 10.4.x, and I'm wondering which was the most stable version in this respect. Or is it iTunes? Or QuickTime? Does anyone else have this issue? It certainly makes listening to streamed music an unpleasant experience.

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I dunno if reinstalling OSX will help. Are you close to the speakers? Is there much interference in your house (thick walls, cordless phones, giant metal phalluses)? Are you running many intensive apps at the same time as you stream music? Are your song files massive? What sort of security do you have on the network? What's the capital of Botswana? :)

3. skunk thread starter macrumors G4

skunk

I just knew you'd help. :)

No security whatever, no thick walls, nothing happening except iTunes, no phalluses - at least no artificial ones. And it only happens from time to time. Gaborone.

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Excellent. I knew it started with a G... :cool:

Do you have the latest firmware installed on the Express and when you get these drop outs, do you notice if you get a corresponding drop in reception (less bars in the AirPort icon on the Menu Bar)?

5. skunk thread starter macrumors G4

skunk

Hmmm. I've only just noticed the AP software needed updating. We'll see what gives now... :eek:

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Yeah, I wish the firmware came down in Software Updater... Ahh well, at least I know the capital of Botswana now. Can this day get any better?...