Dropped features from Panther you want back in Tiger

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Diatribe, Jun 11, 2005.

1. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

Apple has decided to drop some features from Tiger that were there in Panther, which is driving me insane. What are yours? If enough people complain about them being gone, they might reintroduce them.

Complain here.

Mine are:

• target size for saving pictures in Preview
    • zoom to selection toolbar button in Preview
    • dragging to copy file from the Preview drawer
    • activity bar in mail to see the sending progress instead of the activity window

2. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Sent another feedback for:

3. Diatribe thread starter macrumors 601

Diatribe

Good, these two are especially annoying. I hope Apple puts these back.

4. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

I'd like syncing ability back again. When I go to the .Mac prefs panel I get some message about sync failed, couldn't load legacy app or somesuch. Boooo, Apple :mad:. This is on a clean, virgin Tiger install too.

5. macbaseball macrumors 6502a

macbaseball

I have another vote for that, and I also miss some of the sounds in Mail and other apps.

6. xli_ne macrumors 6502a

xli_ne

big vote for that

7. frenetic macrumors regular

I dislike the fact that in mail.app opening an attachement automatically downloads it to your download folder. In panther you could open the file without physically copying it to the dowload folder. Since I use my desktop as the dowload folder I have to clean it up every five days.

8. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

The ability to put my mailboxes on either side in Mail.app.

9. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Another big nod for the changes to Preview...and add...well, I still don't know if it's a bug or a feature, but Panther Preview handled default zoom for new documents in a much more intelligent way than Tiger Preview.

10. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

Agreed! The zooming in Tiger Preview drives me nuts! I really have to wonder what they were thinking there.

11. .:*Robot Boy*:. macrumors 6502

Bring back the old 'Empty Trash' sound! I have to mute my PowerBook when emptying the trash in the company of Panther users 'cause they look at me funny upon hearing that terrible scrunching noise :eek:.

Also, bring back the old icon for the Apple menu. I know the current one is supposed to fit with the whole 'plastic' theme... but it just doesn't seem right.

And finally, fix the whole menu bar itself. From what I can tell, it's supposed to look like it extrudes in the middle... but the effect doesn't work too well due to the fact that the icons (Battery, Time, Airport, Volume, Bluetooth, etc.) don't bend with it. It'd look a lot cooler if they were recessed or something.

Or maybe I should just bite the bullet and pay for a ShapeShifter registration!

Tim.

12. 7on macrumors 601

7on

• Countiuous Scrolling in PDFs
    • Playing of animated Gifs in Preview.

13. dubbz macrumors 68020

dubbz

- Move Tool for pictures. It's still there for PDFs. Why remove it for pictures? I don't get it. Using the scrollbars is just annoying.

14. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

wow a lotta Preview problems there.

to be honest i gotta say Preview too. get it back to how it used to be in Panther but put image blurring in for zooming into pics! please.

15. frenetic macrumors regular

It is still in there, but buried in the menu bar structure: go to view, pdf display, continuous scrolling. It also remembers its settings between opening documents (which I consider to be a good thing).

16. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I'm with everyone else on the Preview issues. I don't use it for much else besides viewing images and PDFs, so many of these problems don't affect me very much, if at all - that doesn't mean I don't find them annoying.

17. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Yeah...I wish there were some easy way to be "adaptive" about this. My problem is that I switch back and forth, using single page scrolls for PDFs of powerpoint files (which some people here insist on making :rolleyes: ) and then continuous scrolling for anything else.

The other thing (that's not a missing or lost feature) that would be gangsta' is if someone would get a PDF reader (preferably Preview) to handle two-column output (almost all journal articles, and in turn almost all of my Preview usage) in a better way. It would be neat if you could set it to scroll down to the bottom and then back to the top the first time or something. Well, it might be too complicated. But at lease handle highlighting text in a two-column document....

18. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

There is nothing that I want from Panther put into Tiger except performance. Everything else seems much better, especially networking.

19. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Bring back the ability to customise number formatting! The defaults for NZ are wrong and there's no way to change them anymore :mad:

20. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

i also go with the mail progress, i really miss that feature

Also one that really bugs me is i don't know how to make that stupid little menu when viewing a slide show in preview or finder to go away, i want to be able to click to next image not have to press right arrow or click on the menu item i don't want a menu at all up on the screen

21. Marble macrumors 6502a

Marble

The "Save Linked File As..." feature when right clicking on a link in Safari that lets me choose its location on disk.

22. Diatribe thread starter macrumors 601

Diatribe

You don't mean in Address Book, right? Because that is still there.

23. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

No, I mean Sys Prefs -> International -> Formats, and in 10.2 and 10.3 there was a Customise button in the Numbers section.

24. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

the name panther. (not a tiger user yet) but i think it's a pretty stupid name. panther just sounds so bad-ass!!

25. .:*Robot Boy*:. macrumors 6502

What is the correct format? Do we do away with the commas or something? :eek:

Tim.