Dropped Frame

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by poppe, Nov 21, 2006.

1. poppe macrumors 68020

poppe

Hello

I keep having this problem with final cut... For some reason no matter what I am doing whether it is editing a short, editing a trailer, or whatever I keep getting dropped frames... why would this keep happening and what can i do?

Everything is in PAL (setting wise)... This even happens to me though when I am doing NTSC...

My Hard drive is set so that it will not try to sleep... What could be the problem? And perhaps a solution?

2. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

first, are your source files on the same drive as OS X? if so, do not do that! you always want to work on them from a seperate drive.

you should also check your RT settings in Final Cut and make sure they are set to unlimited.

what kind of machine is it? how much ram do you have?

3. poppe thread starter macrumors 68020

poppe

Sorry I am new to macs so I'm not sure what you are all talking about...

It is a 15" MBP 2.0 GHZ, 1gb ram... with a FW 400 External HD. But we were putting on the laptop harddrive first and then transferring over to the HD...

What settings exactly should I have as unlimited? Thank you...

4. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

the "RT" are on the left side of the timeline window.

Have you gone into the system settings and adjusting FCP's RAM usage?

Also, if you can, never work with media files on your internal drive. always have them on the external.

5. LukeSkope macrumors newbie

Go into user preferences and uncheck the "report dropped frames during playback" option. Dropped frames happen, it's not usually an issue for me unless it's during capture or print to tape.

Also, in the timeline there is an "RT" box. Put it on "Safe RT"

6. poppe thread starter macrumors 68020

poppe

Well when we are trying to import from the Video Camera I figured it'd be quicker to save it to the internal hdd then to run it from the camera to the FW 400.

What does dropped frames mean though? I can't have the sound unsynced or anything like that... I dont mind doing that I just know it means something and is effecting it some way... and don't want it to be noticeable...

7. Lebowski macrumors 6502

first of all if you are in the US, why are you using PAL? US is NTSC.

and no, capturing to your internal drive, then to the FW is not quicker. Go to your settings and set your "scratch disc" to your external drive. that will send the footage directly to the FW drive as you import it.

dropped frames can be a number of things, unrendered video filters, bad tape, too little RAM for playback.... it happens once and a while. no biggie.

RT settings refer to "real time" - meaning, if RT unlimited is set, then it will show effects in REAL TIME, no rendering needed. THings like levels, mattes, gamma etc are RT effects. So as soon as you apply them, it displays the effect or filter immediately. You will still need to render before output though.

8. poppe thread starter macrumors 68020

poppe

I'm using PAL right now because at my film school is being lame and only letting me use an XL1 while my friend had a DVX 100a from melasia (however you spell)... so What can you do...

I know what format USA is but you have to do what you have to do...

Second I how come importing from a FW DV Cam to a FW 400 is faster than doing it to the internal... So transfer speeds from the internal are less than 400mbs per seconds...